My Great Grandfather's 38/55 Winchester

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Was visiting family this week and it brought back memories or our past and made me think of my two Great Grandpa's. Thought I would share this with you all. I have never posted this 38WCF Winchester before but I thought you guys if any would appreciate it.

My great grandfather on my dad's side was a marshal for the hanging judge in Ok. My brother has his 44/40 colt single action he used and my Great grandfather on my mother's side was the sheriff in Evansville Indiana in 1900 and some years to follow. My other brother has his 44/40 Winchester that he used.

I have his 38WCF Winchester that was used in the last years of his life as a law enforcement officer. It is in very good shape and the piece of wood off of the forearm was cause by a piece of brick that was busted off the corner of a building from a bullet shot at him during a shoot out with a thief.

IMG_5775.jpg

IMG_5776.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

IMG_5783.jpg

IMG_5779.jpg

IMG_5785.jpg

Rifling is still good and it has only shot cast bullets but shoots them extremely well. Has been quit a few years since I shot it but just might shoot it again in the near future. I am told by my grand father on my mother's side when I was a young boy that my Great grandpa could really shoot and he taught my grand father how to shoot and my grand father taught me.

Neat post, Mike. Rifles like that have character, and when we have some of the stories that went with them, we are the richer. In fact, we become the guardians of culture because we do hold such accounts, and because we are able to pass them along to another generation. Thanks for posting the pictures and the brief account.

bullet,

What an treasure, and with a lot of history.
Thanks for the story and pictures.

JD338

What a great post bullet. That is truly a great rifle and a great story of how lawmen of the time made their living. They lived by the winchester and the colt. A true relic to pass on. :grin:

If you will notice the indentions worn in the forearm and stock is due to how he tied it down on his horse and later a car. He carried it every where and wore the grooves you see.

I really love those old winchesters. What makes it better is the personal history. Thanks for the stories.

Great Post bullet! nice rifle and better history. Reason to be proud and humbling all the same. CL

is it 38-40 or the 44-40, win 92's were not made in 38-55 the 94 was.

Maybe I missed something, but I thought the pics were of a 38-55.

ITs a beautiful 1892 win, be proud to own a gun where you know the history

I have no idea how I did that except our combination to the gate of our shooting range is 3855. It is a 38WCF sorry about that. :):):)[/i]

RogueRiver":21q0yc5b said:
is it 38-40 or the 44-40, win 92's were not made in 38-55 the 94 was.

Maybe I missed something, but I thought the pics were of a 38-55.

ITs a beautiful 1892 win, be proud to own a gun where you know the history

Thanks for getting my attention. It is a 38WCF which is a 38-40 :)

Back