My new 243.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Ha. No, don't own 1, but this load kicks like one.......maybe less in a lb for lb rifle. According to my figures it generates 8.4 ft lbs of recoil in an 8lb rifle.

Got a buddy that got his grandson a 6.5CM. I can't find components for it right now so in the event that I can't, I worked up a reduced load for 30-06 so he can have something to shoot for deer.

Got some Hornady 130 gr spire points with some other boxes of bullets in trade for some old powder.

Picked up some IMR 4227 which is a magnum pistol powder and I got an old IMR manual that shows reduced loads for 110 gr and 150 gr with that powder, but not 130 gr so I split the difference on starting loads.

Worked up to 33 grains which got me 2535 average without any pressure yet. Loaded 4 up and shot here at the house at 75 yds off the hood of my truck with a support up front and free wheeling in the rear.

Used my old M70 for a test gun as it is one of the most accurate rifles I own. I did not expect the results I got for using a severely reduced load.

The 4'th bullet was for a jug test at 25 yds. This combo did well at that also. Although the jacket and core were laying separate side by side, it was laying in the middle of the 4'th jug. Measured .582 at the widest point and weighed 83 gr's, so 64% weight retention. That will work.

Win/win all the way around for what I was hoping for. Could shoot the rifle 1 handed for recoil, and it appears the load is bug hole accurate. Will certainly work for a 100 yds and under woods load for a kid.

bdbrown66":2u4rsep5 said:
Can't beat that with a stick.

Yepper. If I was shooting this gun for the first time I'd be ecstatic, as is I'm very happy but not shocked. Just one of those crazy guns....every weight I've ever run through it just plain shoots with little load development. Can't explain it and wont try. Only weights I haven't tried yet are 110's and 200 and up.

This was with Sellier & Bellot primers I picked up on a powder trade, and cases were resized with an old Pacific die as my RCBS is currently loaned out. You almost can't make it up. Some guns just refuse to shoot poorly.

That sort of consistency will put a grin on the chin of the most jaded gun crank. You, sir, are to be congratulated.

That's certainly an effective use of one's time. Until things settle out with the supply issues, we all may find ourselves tapping into our creative sides...Well done, sir!

hunter24605":29hzmo1m said:
That's certainly an effective use of one's time. Until things settle out with the supply issues, we all may find ourselves tapping into our creative sides...Well done, sir!

Thank You. Yes we most likely will depending on how long this lasts. I'm good for what I load for, but others I help out might have to shoot things they weren't planning on. Like this set up I worked on.

I feel there are better first choices for better case fill that I'd likely have chosen to get me to the speeds I was looking for (2500-2600) at a reduced load. But can't be choosy right now...4227 was available and at old normal prices so I grabbed it. Worked out it appears.

slickrem":3mfwj1lj said:
what will it do farther out?

No clue really. It was worked up for a woods load for a 80 lb kid that will have no business shooting distance at this point. 100 yds maximum woods shots and more likely in the 50-75 yd range. Will work out well for that and kicks less than a full power 6.5 CM load.

michsteve":2t4ouuwb said:
What do you need for the Creed?

Brass.

I picked up an array of partial boxes of bullets recently....some paper punching and varmint bullets he can use for practice, and a half box of sierra 120 gr that should work for deer. Got plenty of primers and powder, just need brass which is unobtanium right now. I'll run across some at some point, but wasn't counting on it which is why I wanted to make sure I had a back up plan for him with this load.

I lucked out last year when Gander Outdoors were shutting down some stores I bought a Savage MSR 10 Hunter in Creedmoor and they had Starline Brass in stock at 40% off for both I bought my rifle and all the brass they had in stock. I'll send you a bag if this is for a kid no charge, now only question is do you want large rifle primer brass or small rifle primer brass, yes I got both I said I grabbed it all who knew three months later the Covid and other crap was going to turn this into another scarce reloading issue.

Probably large rifle primer would be best as the SRP cases are more for target shooting.

michsteve":2vlinvwc said:
I lucked out last year when Gander Outdoors were shutting down some stores I bought a Savage MSR 10 Hunter in Creedmoor and they had Starline Brass in stock at 40% off for both I bought my rifle and all the brass they had in stock. I'll send you a bag if this is for a kid no charge, now only question is do you want large rifle primer brass or small rifle primer brass, yes I got both I said I grabbed it all who knew three months later the Covid and other crap was going to turn this into another scarce reloading issue.

Probably large rifle primer would be best as the SRP cases are more for target shooting.

That would be fantastic, thank you! Awesome gesture that will not go unnoticed whether now or in the future. I'll PM you my address. I picked up 2 more old boxes of 100 gr hornady's so once I get a batch loaded up for him he will have plenty of bullets now to get practiced up. Much obliged! Thanks again.

Thought I'd add some things to this post as options and clarification to anybody that perhaps would be reading this and is unfamiliar with reduced loads.

If I was loading this for myself as a reduced load and wanted more speed, I'd likely choose 4198 as it's a little slower and would allow me to get to 2600 plus in all likelihood, before approaching pressure. Although at a somewhat higher powder charge.

H4895 which I got lots of, would let you run the gamete as far as speed, you could zing this bullet with that powder and stay under pressure. However according to my figures as a reduced load, I would need somewhere around 43 grains just to get at the 2500 fps mark. 43 grains with a 130 gr bullet is getting into the realm of a fair amount of bump for a skinny little kid.

It's been my experience also that although H4895 is a handy powder all the way around including for reduced loads.......once you get below say 85% or so of max charge, it's not an overly accurate combo. Certainly useable, but just fair as far as accuracy.

michsteve":1wu2hlm3 said:

Good onya brother.I scored some of that Gander closeout brass too. Midway had some 6.5 creed brass in stock a few days ago.

michsteve":7lllo7yj said:

Very very kind offer sir. Hats of to you.

Back