My New Wildcat 335 OTTR

DLJ

Beginner
Dec 20, 2004
My favorite barrelsmith Mike Sirois of Dover NH and I decided to see what we could do by catting the 376 Steyr case for use primarliy in TC Encores. Below is a pic of the 338 cal version. 77grains H2O case capacity. Preliminary results indicate that we should be able to approximate moderate 338 Win Mag numbers with the non belted case. This is what I'm considering as a starting load consisting of 58 grains of RL-15, CCI 250M , Horn. brass. I purchased these Nosler 180 grain BTs(seconds) to use when fire-forming the brass. After getting this type of accuracy I will be deer hunting with them tomorrow :!: :grin: :!:
22" barrel
f5bb7d63.jpg

I have a 26" barrel chambered in a .264 version of this case that I will be working with next.

DLJ,

Looks like you are having fun. What is your guesstimate for how hot you can load this cartridge? How is the recoil out of the Encore? And finally is the stock of your Encore factory or have you made modifications to help with recoil.

Long

Here is a pic of the rig. Factory buttstock...aftermarket VVCG/ now Stratton Custom with their hanger bar. Recoil is not bad with this custom brake..and I was surprised that is wasnt as loud as I thought it was going to be!
I'm not sure how hot its gonna run yet...probably near mid range 338Win Mag numbers with a little less powder.
f5b57b1a.jpg

DLJ-

Neat concept. You are giving up a little case capacity to the WSM cases; .300 WSM cases have a case capacity of 82.6 grains of water, so not a whole lot of capacity left on the table.

I would be interested to see what kind of velocities you get out of your .264 version. I have a 6.5 WSM and I have yet to be able to chronograph it yet.

Good luck and good shooting.

DLJ-

Neat concept. You are giving up a little case capacity to the WSM cases; .300 WSM cases have a case capacity of 82.6 grains of water, so not a whole lot of capacity left on the table.

Would your wildcat work in a short actioned rifle?

I would be interested to see what kind of velocities you get out of your .264 version. I have a 6.5 WSM and I have yet to be able to chronograph it yet.

Good luck and good shooting.

Yeah Ive spent some time behind a WSM and found that they and the Encore action/frame arent suited well to each other...as others have documented.
Since I work primarily with the break action..I'm not sure what the limits to a short bolt action are but this case runs .245" longer than the WSM case...

Good info
let me know how the 6.5 version works,I have given serious thought to the same thing except useing it in a 98Mauser
the Styr case will fit and feed (like greased pig's) thru an action of standard length and you get 4 in the mag

What does it cost to have something like that done? I've thought for a long time that the 376 Steyr case necked down to .323 with a 30 degree shoulder would be perfect for just about anything in North America. Not too big, not too small. Dimensionally almost exactly half-way between the 30-06 and the .338 Win Mag. What does one do about dies? Thanks for any information you can give!
:)

mr...
cost will depend on what type of action you want to build it on. Custome dies wont run you much.
what are you thinking about for a rifle?

The user name has nothing to do with my real name. It's a long story. Anyway, I have a Mauser 98 action Id like to use. I'm thinking probably a 25" barrel. Who do you reccomend for the custom dies?

Well, for a seater you can use anyold 338 Win Mag seater...you may have to have someone open it up a few thou. in the shoulder if you decide to take some of the taper out of the 376 case. Or a die for a similar sized 8mm case. I'm not sure if my guy Mike Sirois from On Target Tech. has chambered any M98 barrels with his EDM machine but I can ask. He did both my barrel and sizing die. Once you decide on the specs for you case and design it ...you can check with the various custom die makers....CH T&D, Redding and the like for pricing and turn around. Feel free to take this conversation to email if you prefer.

Back