My Savage Axis 223 with Bluedot

bmoore

Beginner
Aug 24, 2020
I did some experimenting last year with my Ruger American ranch and Bluedot and was pretty happy. 11.0 of Bluedot under a 35 grain nosler ballistic tip shot 2650fps and an inch at 100 yards. Today I took out my Axis and tried the same loads. They shot VERY well, they did half inch and I am assuming with the 20 inch barrel (had it cut) instead of the 16 that I am right around 2,750fps with them. I also shot 40grn Vmax's with 10.5 of Bludot today out of my Axis and got the same half inch results. I was also shooting my Savage 93F .22 mag and with ear muffs on if there was a difference in muzzle report, I certainly could not tell.

Attachments

• IMG_4710.jpg
    IMG_4710.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,042
  • IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,042
Yup I load them in my 222 to turn it into a 22 Hornet

Thanks. I just got a youth stock for it yesterday. It will be for my son.......and yes I love the 22 Hornet clones as well.

remingtonman_25_06":3r6n8qoc said:
Interesting! I like the 40g VMAX idea. Any special steps to get 10.5g of powder to burn uniformly? What's the ES like?

Bluedot powder does not really seem to be positional, it burns well in the large case. If it is than I haven't really noticed, both of my 223's will shoot less than an inch with 35 and 40grn bullets around 2600-2800fps. ES is 20-30fps out of my Ruger American ranch from last year. 2677, 2656, 2655, 2670, 2680 was a shot string I did. That was 11.0 of Bluedot with a 35grn Nosler lead free ballistic tip. I am going to try to chrono some soon out of my Axis and see if the 20 inch barrel makes a difference. Can't burn up a lot though, I am down to my last 30 lead free's for this load and Nosler has no idea when more are coming back in stock.

Thanks for the info. I did a bit of research on it last night and the general consensus was around 14g was max with a 40g bullet at around 3300-3400. I am wanting to duplicate 22 hornet from my 26" barreled 223. I'll probably start around 11-12g. Should give me anywhere from 2900-3000fps. Went to town this morning looking for some bluedot and couldnt find any :( I've got a pile of 40g VMAX and 40g varmageddon. Just looking to tinker around for a lower report ground squirrel rifle in the mountains. And this way, I dont have to buy a CZ 22 hornet, wife probably wont let me right now hahaha.

remingtonman_25_06":f95vf09k said:
Thanks for the info. I did a bit of research on it last night and the general consensus was around 14g was max with a 40g bullet at around 3300-3400. I am wanting to duplicate 22 hornet from my 26" barreled 223. I'll probably start around 11-12g. Should give me anywhere from 2900-3000fps. Went to town this morning looking for some bluedot and couldnt find any :( I've got a pile of 40g VMAX and 40g varmageddon. Just looking to tinker around for a lower report ground squirrel rifle in the mountains. And this way, I dont have to buy a CZ 22 hornet, wife probably wont let me right now hahaha.

Yep you are on the right track and I am pretty sure I know what you are referencing, a guy named Seafires post. Good info. Reloading components are blown out right now, you have better odds getting Bluedot though than bullets so you got that in your favor. I was in the same boat as you, I really was looking hard at a 22 Hornet. I wanted it for some of my coyote stands that are closer to civilization than others. Then I found out I can make 22 Hornets with what I have on hand with MOA accuracy. Honestly, I do more plinking with these now then hunting because of how easy they are on your ears. My Ruger is a 1:8 twist and my Axis is a 1:9 twist if that helps you at all.

Yes it was from seafire on 24hrcampfire...Lot of good info on that post, so I screen shot a few pages worth. I only checked 1 place for powder, I still have a few other stores I can look at. Pretty sure I can find it, just need to call around some, it's not a real popular powder around here. I have a Ruger Target with a 26" heavy barrel and 14" twist, same test rifle as seafires I believe. Either way, a 40g VMAX at 3000fps burning 12g of powder with under MOA accuracy would be a pretty nice squirrel plinker.

remingtonman_25_06":33zx5aiv said:
Yes it was from seafire on 24hrcampfire...Lot of good info on that post, so I screen shot a few pages worth. I only checked 1 place for powder, I still have a few other stores I can look at. Pretty sure I can find it, just need to call around some, it's not a real popular powder around here. I have a Ruger Target with a 26" heavy barrel and 14" twist, same test rifle as seafires I believe. Either way, a 40g VMAX at 3000fps burning 12g of powder with under MOA accuracy would be a pretty nice squirrel plinker.

Oh very nice. Yeah I think a 40 with 12.0 in that 1:14 will be just fine.

That is the best looking AXIS I have ever seen. How did you manage a nice wood stock? :shock: Most of them are too ugly for a truck gun no matter how well they shoot! CL

cloverleaf":3b48fivl said:
That is the best looking AXIS I have ever seen. How did you manage a nice wood stock? :shock: Most of them are too ugly for a truck gun no matter how well they shoot! CL

Hahahah thanks. I put a Boyds fleur de lis checkered walnut stock on it. I tried for a few months to just say "I got a good deal on the rifle, just leave it alone" but it kinda bugged me. The Boyds stock exceeded my expectations and is fantastic looking. I got a little bit more wrapped up in my Axis than most but I don't care, it shoots my 223 handloads with H322 (most any loads actually) lights out and it feels like a rifle now. Actually as of 2 days ago it now sits in a camo savage youth stock for my son. It was a bummer taking it off but the weight and the length of pull make a huge difference for a 9 1/2 year old. I put a coat of Ballistol on the Boyds, put it the box and put it away. In a few years I will put it back on for him. They have a new hardwood option for the Axis, that is what I would do if I ever get another one.

Attachments

• IMG_5576.jpg
    IMG_5576.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 817
Very nice! I should have guessed. this is my Savage 93FV in 22Mag in a Boyds "Dakota Will" Stock. Got some extra invested in mine too... Nice groups from your 223 too!

CL

I once thought I wanted a .22 Hornet then I also discovered Blue Dot in my .223 Rem. I also like how the barrel stays so cool.

cloverleaf":1s24t5yb said:
Very nice! I should have guessed. this is my Savage 93FV in 22Mag in a Boyds "Dakota Will" Stock. Got some extra invested in mine too... Nice groups from your 223 too!

CL

Beautiful. Now I want one of those for my 93 F.

Thanks- it definitely "made" the thing presentable. Really like the profile, but they don't make the exact one anymore. Not really a fan of plywood stocks, but this one was a "short run". I think it was a test run for savage so I got a deal on it. I sent the first one back because the barrel channel was so far off center I couldn't open it up enough for the FV barrel profile. It was meant for the accutrigger and mine dosent have that so I had to fill in part of the inletting around the safety w/ epoxy. Couldn't afford walnut at the time but wish I would have sprung for it now. CL

cloverleaf":1qx081hv said:
Thanks- it definitely "made" the thing presentable. Really like the profile, but they don't make the exact one anymore. Not really a fan of plywood stocks, but this one was a "short run". I think it was a test run for savage so I got a deal on it. I sent the first one back because the barrel channel was so far off center I couldn't open it up enough for the FV barrel profile. It was meant for the accutrigger and mine dosent have that so I had to fill in part of the inletting around the safety w/ epoxy. Couldn't afford walnut at the time but wish I would have sprung for it now. CL

Nice. I have their pepper laminate on my 22-250, kinda heavy but I like it.

Back