Mystery bullets

Newysan

Beginner
Jan 4, 2009
Greetings I hope this post stirs up some memories. At least 15 years ago I bought up a friends dads supply of reloading components he had at his store that did not sell at the yard sale. Dad passed hunting ducks and something needed to be done with the supplies. While killing ground squirrels with friends I saw one of them had a 222 and I told him I thought I had some components left over from that yard sale and I would load them up for him. The box of 22 cal bullets is marked Nosler MATCH 22 cal 50 grain. The product code is 28468. None of my books has any reference to these particular bullets. These bullets must be older than I imagined. Any data{oal, powders and such} would lend some insight into this "project". Just for fun the box has a 4.00$ tag on it. That alone probably dates it back some. Thanks in advance for any info, it is greatly appreciated and always useful. Neysan

They are listed in their first reloading manual that came out in 76. Lots of powders listed for 222,including IMR- 3031, 4895, 4198. H-322, several N powders are also listed. I can give you load data if you can give me a powder.

Elk Man Thank you for responding to my inquiry. I read up on the subject in Ken Waters book and decided 20 grains of reloader 7 makes a very accurate load and the powder is in stock along with some bench rest primers. I am curious what overall cartridge length the original book called for. It is a hollow point so it's not quite like a soft point. The future for the charging bull ground squirrels is looking dim. Thanks again. Newysan

The Nosler #1, does not provide overall cartridge length, but lists case length as 1.700. AOL should be available on the web.

My favorite Load for the 222 Rem so far is the 50 grain BT and 21.5 grains of RL7. Shoots really well. I seated them using the OAL from the Nosler #6 manual. Can't remember it right now. Great little cartridge.

The 222 is a classic, need to finally buy one of those have been wanting one since I was a kid.

Sweet and under appreciated. When putting together a Javalina purpose gun I chose a .222 Rem Mag AI which is a supped up .222 and beats the .223 even if AI.

Have fun!

Back