NA Big Game Caliber

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
No, I'm not asking. Here's the reason for this thread: Last Sunday while watching the Jim Shockey show, he answered a question he receives all the time from viewers about the "Best All-Around NA Big Game Caliber" for all big game animals. Knowing this is a loaded question to answer, he gave HIS opinion, the 338 Remington Ultra Mag. I would have to agree, only if you're able to handle the recoil from this caliber. Handle everything from yotes to Yukon bull moose to big brown bears.

Let the flaming begin. :grin: :grin: :grin:

If you can handle the recoil or handload down when you desired that would work...............as well as many others. There is no "only one" cartridge or caliber which will work but a 338 is a good one. I have shot squirrels to deer so far with my 338win mag and hope to hunt elk next lear with it.

Richracer1":3b8lem3p said:
No, I'm not asking. Here's the reason for this thread: Last Sunday while watching the Jim Shockey show, he answered a question he receives all the time from viewers about the "Best All-Around NA Big Game Caliber" for all big game animals. Knowing this is a loaded question to answer, he gave HIS opinion, the 338 Remington Ultra Mag. I would have to agree, only if you're able to handle the recoil from this caliber. Handle everything from yotes to Yukon bull moose to big brown bears.

Let the flaming begin. :grin: :grin: :grin:

As most of you are aware, I am a big fan of the 338 RUM.

Needless to say, Jim Shockley is spot on. The 338 RUM will cover all hunting requirements. And just for the record, the recoil isn't that bad, even from prone. :wink:

JD338

He also mentioned this opinion was based on being a guide and outfitter. He also said he likes the larger calibers and there's no such thing as "over-kill" in regards to caliber.

Your opinion may vary and you are entitled to it and to share it, please, just don't start up with all the negativity/bad-mouthing this can generate. Thanks

No doubt that the 338 is a great caliber for 10 years I only shot one rifle and it was a 375 H & H in a left handed Medilion and a boss system shot 235 speers for everything from Antelope to Moose.
If I could only have one rifle I would likely go with either the 35 whelan or 338.
My motto is there are so many calibers and far to little time. :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

i love my 338 win and really almost pulled the trigger on a ultra mag. but i really enjoy my winnie so i am keeping her till she's wore out.

I saw the same show where Shockey made the comment regarding the 338 RUM.

Unless I`m missing something, I find it somewhat interesting that on his hunting adventure TV shows, I have never seen him use a 338 RUM rifle!!! Regardless of where he is hunting and the game he is after, he always seems to be using the 50 cal T/C muzzleloader. It seems to me that if one`s opinion towards a certain cartridge is a such and announce it on his show, you`d think that maybe he would use a 338 RUM more often on his shows????

I saw his dad on one show take down a moose with a 300 Win. No 338 RUM in that show.

The 338 RUM certainly qualifies as one of the best all round cartridges for N/A, but many would find it more un-manageable for their liking for use as a do all/one rifle set up.

That is why the premise of a one rifle/one cartridge set up for all N/A game and big game by most if not all hunters, could never be adhered to, and therefore could be dismissed as discussion folly because it is very unrealistic.

If I`m wrong, then how many hunters do you know, have only one rifle as a "do all" rifle/cartridge in their safes or cases? I don`t know of anyone within my circle.

When it comes to the best all around N/A cartridges, a few 7s and a few 30s, have successfully taken down all N/A big game as well.

Jim hunts a lot of BIG game, and perhaps the .338 RUM makes sense for him, but most of us hunt deer, with a hope of someday going for that big western elk hunt or taking a good size black bear...

I strongly suspect that most of us will shoot much better and be better served with something along the power level of a .30-06 or a .308 Win or a .270... Something that kills deer just as dead as any .338 RUM, with a fraction of the recoil & muzzle blast. If we luck out and get to step up to a hunt for bull elk or something big, we can just up-bullet to a Nosler Partition and get 'er done - just fine. Without all the drama of a big hard kicking cartridge.

Now, take this with a grain of salt, because I dearly love shooting my .375 H&H.

Mostly I hunt with a .25-06, taking mule deer cleanly out at 400 yards earlier this year, or a 7mm Rem mag or a .30-06... A well placed bullet does just fine, no need for a cannon. If I got the invite to go hunt grizz or moose tomorrow I'd have no hesitation about grabbing my .30-06 and a box of ammo loaded with 180 or 200 gr Nosler Partitions.

Regards, Guy

If I'm facing an angry grizzly, I'd rather had someone with me that had a .308 or a .30-06 that could use them, than to have someone with a .338 RUM that was unable to shoot it. There are a lot of assumptions in the implied question that need to be clarified.

I agree with JD338
IF!!! you hadload there is no reason to beat the bejeabers out of yourself trying to bring down that 90 pound white/black tail. On the other hand the 338 RUM is my cow elk caliber with the 375 RUM being my bull elk caliber. You are able to load up or down in velocity to suit the animal. We're talking about ONLY ONE caliber!
The basic premis (IMHO) is: No matter what load you have in your 243 Win. I will NOT stand beside you when you shoot a grizzley with it. On the other hand if you have a 338 RUM with a muzzle brake and a good recoil pad I believe most hunters could shoot it pretty well and I WOULD stand beside you as you shot a grizzly or 90 pound deer with it, even if you still flinched and hit 6 inches from where you aimed.
Not to try to prove right or wrong in this matter. Jim is the guide and not the shooter and his dad is old (like me) and if you've read the stories Jim wrote over the years in which he mentioned his father joining him it sounded that even if Jim's dad WAS using the 243 there would be a lot of wasted time trying to convince him to change his mind about that or anything else. (Like me).
Good Hunting :grin:
Greg

Not to sure I would want to stand next to anybody with a break on their gun, at least not with some really good eye and hearing protection! :lol: There is no denieing the effectiveness of the 338 RUM, thats for sure!

Did notice that JD was talking about the perfect NA game rifle, that includes grizz, moose, elk, and maybe bison. Understand that most people will never hunt any of these, but that doesn't make it any less fun to dream and play the what if game. We are not just talking about what most people really hunt (deer), but about every critter huntable in NA.

If I were hunting any of the above I would more than likely use my 338 WM, or 375R. I can handle the recoil and shoot them pretty darn good.

Wouldn't really want to stand next to sombody shooting a 270 or 308 at anything that can hunt me back, has a temper, or weighs more than a VW Bug no matter how good they are with it. There is no such thing as to dead, but there is such a thing as under gunned.

I like the .338's, but for only one rifle, for a person who hunts everything from p-dogs, and yote's on up, it's a little big. Imagine taking it prarrie dog shooting. Might need a shoulder transplant afterwords. I like to see the first rifle in the .270/280/30.06/7mm-08/.308 range. These are the true versitile workhorses. Next, get a good varmit rifle. Most guys shoot a lot more varmits then grizzlies. When it time, get your big gun. For that, a .338 Win/Rum, or the new 325 Short Mag's are hard to beat.

Never shot the 338UM, but have shot the 338 Win Mag quite alot and it seems like it has bullets available for about anything, minus prairie dogs. I like my Whelen alot, but you can load those 338 Win Mags faster for long range and still not give up too much as far as frontal area. I would gladly take my win mag after bear. It would probably be loaded with 250gr Nosler Partitions at 2600-2700. I can't think of any bear that wouldn't be a little troubled by one of those. The 338's make alot of sense for a one round hunter. I think Mr. Shockey has probably seen alot of big game taken and has an idea of what works. Scotty

Agree with JD 1000 percent. I've used mine on Elk, Deer and a lot of animals in between with great results. With a good recoil pad the recoil is very tolerable. There is a good variety of bullet weights available and its not fussy about what powder you stuff it with.

big rifle man

Agree. My M700 LSS shoots 200 gr BT/AB, 210 gr PT, 225 gr AB/PT, and 250 gr AB/PT under .5 MOA. This is a stock factory rifle with a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad on it.
I have shot elk, WT deer, Mule deer and a black bear with mine, all were drop in their tracks kills.

You can't argue with those kind of results either.

JD338

The 338 UM is a great choice for a long range to extreme long range caliber but is overkill for north american game IMHO.

I have never hunted grizzley and never intend to. I have seen films of dozens of grizzley killed with the tired old anemic 338 win mag, that were dropped nearly immediately with a typical shoulder shot. A friend was trying to get me to go on a hunt with him and he showed me film of around a dozen bear being taken with the 338 wm and cartridges performance really impressed me.

The WM delivers plenty of energy to 400-500 yards for anything in NA and up close is a hammer on game.

If you are doing the long range thing then the UM is the ticket.

FWIW, I took this 88lbs (dressed) blacktail with my 338RUM loaded with a 200ET. I assure you this deer wasn't "overkilled" by any means. It sure is nice though when they drop in their tracks. I don't recall feeling any recoil either.
Oct09BT2.jpg

The exit hole:
Oct09BT1.jpg

That is an awesome example of the versatility of the 338's on deer size game. I could imagine the deer didn't feel a thing! Scotty

I shot this buck with my 338 RUM using a 250 gr AB. Shown is the exit wound.
Spike111608a.jpg

JD338

Back