NA Big Game Caliber

If one can and will use ear protection at all times I think a 338 RUM or 338-378 with a muzzle brake would be fine! I chrono'd a 33-378 for a guy with a muzzle brake and I swear it kicked no more than my 270 winchester. My son unscrewed the brake and took a shot, then said "never again". The reason I went back down to the 300 Weatherby from the bigger guns is- I have never been attacked by a charging grizzly. If the animal-huggers get their way we will have them down here in Oregon, along with the wolves and cats! A cougar attacked my dog right behind my home a while back and a 338 RUM would have put just the right size hole in that cat!

Guy Miner":1e6vsr8n said:
Jim hunts a lot of BIG game, and perhaps the .338 RUM makes sense for him, but most of us hunt deer, with a hope of someday going for that big western elk hunt or taking a good size black bear...

I strongly suspect that most of us will shoot much better and be better served with something along the power level of a .30-06 or a .308 Win or a .270... Something that kills deer just as dead as any .338 RUM, with a fraction of the recoil & muzzle blast. If we luck out and get to step up to a hunt for bull elk or something big, we can just up-bullet to a Nosler Partition and get 'er done - just fine. Without all the drama of a big hard kicking cartridge.

Now, take this with a grain of salt, because I dearly love shooting my .375 H&H.

Mostly I hunt with a .25-06, taking mule deer cleanly out at 400 yards earlier this year, or a 7mm Rem mag or a .30-06... A well placed bullet does just fine, no need for a cannon. If I got the invite to go hunt grizz or moose tomorrow I'd have no hesitation about grabbing my .30-06 and a box of ammo loaded with 180 or 200 gr Nosler Partitions.

Regards, Guy

Amen brother :wink: im a 30/06 fan myself ,, and i also belive the caliber is a good choice for any NA game ,, with the wide array of bullet choices and weights avaliable for the 30/06 it makes it a caliber thats hard to beat

Back