Neck sizing or FL sizing

mladucer

Beginner
Jan 12, 2009
So I've been wondering if I should neck size or full length size my 264 win mag. I mainly use the gun for hunting. Are there any benefits to neck sizing a belted magnum? And will it lengthen brass life. I've neck sized all of my other rifles just never my 264. Or should I bump the shoulder until my bolt has a smooth action?

My practice on belted cases is to partially neck size so that I just bump the shoulder. The cartridge does not need to headspace on the belt if it is headspacing on the shoulder.

My Remington 700 (.264) likes the full-length sizing die, but only to the extent where I can feel the bolt close with a very small resistance. I try not to set the shoulder back. Also it likes the 125 gr PT bullet close to the rifling. It makes a fine antelope and deer rifle.

All the best, Jim

I neck size the .338 Jarrett for target shooting. For hunting I full length size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neck sizing will extend the life of your brass. I have found that full length resizing is required every so often, to bring the case back to factory specs. Prior to loading I run every case that I will use for hunting through the rifle. That will solve any chambering problems up front.

DrMike":dkbfq90i said:
My practice on belted cases is to partially neck size so that I just bump the shoulder. The cartridge does not need to headspace on the belt if it is headspacing on the shoulder.

Same here, I use FL dies set up for each rifle. Most all of my stuff ends up around .0015-.002 setback at the shoulder.

I have neck sizer dies for everything. I very rarely run my brass through a full length die. I also anneal as needed.

Back