need a hand primer

redrider03

Beginner
Dec 7, 2007
I use federal primers and the Lee hand primer is not supposed to be used with federal primers. Will a RCBS hand primer work with a Lee case holder? Thanks

Buy the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool and you'll never have to worry about shell holders again. The Lee shell holders work with the Lee Auto Prime. Consequently, I've used federal primers with the Lee Auto Prime for many years and never had an explosion. I am well aware of the statements concerning safety in the Lee Reloading Manual, but I've never been convinced that there was a basis in fact for the proscription.

I've used Lee Hand Prime on Federal Primers with no issue whatsoever. Like DrMike said, Lee case holder would only work with Lee Hand prime. RCBS uses regular shellholder.

I too used the Lee Autoprime with Federal primers without incident. The Lee tool is perfectly functional, but the RCBS tool is simply a better made gadget and feels much more substantial in the hand. I think the admonishment to not use Federal primers had something to do with Richard Lee's eccentricity and tendency to get into arguments with other manufacturers. The guy's smart, but I think he's got a loose screw.

I am on my second Lee hand priming tool over the last 35 years. 10,000 Federal primers later and still going strong. I have never had a problem.

JD338

Here is another Lee hand primer user with Federal primers. Federal primers are more sensitive that most others, that is why you should not use them in free floating firing pin rifles like the M1 Garand etc. Just don't put a tray full of them in the tray and always keep the case pointed away from your face when priming as you should with all primers. Take your time and go easy while priming. If one goes off and you have 20 or less in the tray you should be OK. If a Lee hand primer tool will set off Federal so will the rest of the priming tools. They all work the same way.

I've loaded 4k+ fed 215 primers with my lee autoprime with no problems what so ever. In general Federals are a medium soft primer when it comes to cup strength. In my experience Winchesters are the softest, and the easiest to pierce with a firing pin, so if Winchesters are safe, I can't see why Federals would not be safe...I think I will keep using mine with all the primers I use.

According to Lee's book, the reason they don't recommend Federal primers is due to the potential for full-tray detonation exceeding the blast strength of the tool. Of course, they recommend a bunch of different maximum numbers of primers in the tray, depending on brand and type. If you're buying a hand priming tool, just get the RCBS and don't worry about it. I've had the original RCBS for about 17yrs or so, and it's working just fine. I bet the new "universal" one works even better. If money's tight, get the original - still available a lot of places - and never look back.

Desert Fox":1cmel2tc said:
I've used Lee Hand Prime on Federal Primers with no issue whatsoever. Like DrMike said, Lee case holder would only work with Lee Hand prime. RCBS uses regular shellholder.

Me too since 1993. No issues!

There are two RCBS tray-fed hand primers. The original one uses conventional shell holders, and has a round (or octagonal?) tray. The Universal hand primer has a larger, square tray, and has universal shell holder jaws so you don't have to change out shell holders for different cartridges. RCBS does sell a square tray upgrade kit for the original, but it is only the tray, not the universal shell holder. The large, detachable square tray will hold a square factory package of 100 flat in the bottom when loading it.

My Lee autoprime worked great, but it uses the thumb to work the priming lever, and after a bunch of rounds primed, my thumb started having problems. The RCBS (either the original or the Universal) uses the whole hand to squeeze the handle, and does not give me troubles.

Andy

Back