Need advice to choose a Leupold

To all,

If you could compare a Zeiss Conquest to a Leupold in the field or at the range you would not buy another old design Leupold.

The Conquest design handles glare where the Leu will not. Leupold crosshairs turn pink and fade looking towards light.

I bought 10 Leupolds til the Conquests came out. Now my last 7 scopes have been Zeiss.

Thank you all for your valuable comments, which have helped me to decide.
I have gone for the 3,5-10 x40 with the B & C and finally got it.

I needed a slim and lightweight scope and this model suits my rifle, which is a very slim single-shot break open.

As far as maximum power (10x) I believe that for the type of hunting I do, I have plenty.

Moreover, I have found out all the parameters for the Ballistic Aiming System are set for the highest power (in my case, 10X), so that's another plus.
Also, according to our hunting regulations, the maximum allowable power setting is 12x (VX-III come in 10x or 14x - no 12x).
I am going to use the scope almost always at the highest settings and 14x would be too much and I have hunted more than 20 years with a fixed 6x power....I am sure I will notice the differencenow ! :wink:
If hi-power scopes had no downsides, I guess everyone would be hunting with 20x or higher and lower power settings would be out of the market, right ? :lol:
Anyway, we'll see whether I made the right choice.

One more question....could some of you please point me in the right direction to get tips on mounting the scope ?

Thanks
Bluejay

Are you going with leupold rings? Sinclair sells a scope alignment toool....but what i do is jus use a wooden dowel and center it on you rings.
I use green/white tube of loctite to secure the base and just torque down the rings once i get a full picture in the glass and the crosshairs are level. I'm sure someone here will have a more technical way of doing it, but that works for me. Center the crosshairs to the way you hold the gun and then go dial it in. Other people may hold a little different than you.

YoteSmoker":11bcmxzc said:
Are you going with leupold rings? Sinclair sells a scope alignment toool....but what i do is jus use a wooden dowel and center it on you rings.
I use green/white tube of loctite to secure the base and just torque down the rings once i get a full picture in the glass and the crosshairs are level. I'm sure someone here will have a more technical way of doing it, but that works for me. Center the crosshairs to the way you hold the gun and then go dial it in. Other people may hold a little different than you.

I forgot to state that I am going to "switch" this new scope with my old one and thus I am going to use the existing mount I have, which is a blaser dedicated system (very nice, believe me) and I only need to undo the four torx bolts at the top end of the rings, take the old scope off and put the new one on.

Do you mount the scope tube as it is or do you use some sort of "bedding" between the tube (aluminum) and the rings (steel) ?

I am afraid I might tighten too much....

Cheers
Bluejay :wink:

Just don't forget your blue locktite.
If you are really worried about over tightening, get a small torque wrench from harbor freight. They sell the little ones that are right for scopes and such for about $20.00. Might be worth it to protect your investment.

Not trying to hijack the tread but for the last several years i have been using the Burris Signature Zee rings with inserts. You can buy an extra insert kit and most of the time you can zero your scope without moving your turret adjustments very much if any. The insert kit comes with different size inserts, 5 to 20 thousands difference. Also , they never put a ring mark or bend your scope, very important to me. I will never buy a used scope with ring marks. If for some reason i can not get the Signature Zee for certain bases i use a lapping bar of the correct dia. an very carefully lap the rings out.

R Flowers":3c4jt6wh said:
....But do not listen to me, read the stuff that comes with the scope and use the CD that comes with it. Put it in your computer and it will explain all this for you. Even has some examples where you can practice using the right lines for drop and windage.

Enjoy!

R Flowers,
are you sure the scope comes with a CD ?

Haven't found it in the box. :cry:
Apart form the scope :roll: there were only the two manuals (the scope's and the Ballistic reticle's)

I decided to put this scope on my Blaser K95 in 6,5x57R Mauser, as I think it perfectly fits the picture (lightweight and slim design).
I may post a picture for you guys.

I am going to test it this Saturday. Finger crossed !

Cheers
Bluejay

Well, I have purchased seven Leupold's now that had the Boone and Crockett reticle in them. If I remember right, they all came with a small CD to help explain the reticle and its functions. It pops in your computer and is very helpfull in getting started with the scope.

Call Leupold and see if they will send you one. If they won't let me now, I can probably find one around here someplace.

For all around big game hunting, a good 3x9 will serve you well. If you shoot long range, a 3X12 is ideal and 4.5X14 well be perfect. As a matter of fact, I own more 4.5X14 scope than any other magnification. I have scope with up to 32X magnification and I found them to be useful in the bench but useless in the field. In fact 12X is all I need even when shooting varmints. With that said, another scope that's worth looking into is the IOR Valdada. I really like their 3X18 scope with MP-8 reticule. They are the only scope manufacturer that offer a 6:1 magnification ratio. It pretty much cover all of my hunting needs and the Schott glass is superb. The only drawback for these scope is the weight, and the size of the 35MM tube.

Desert Fox":syjku1v5 said:
..... They are the only scope manufacturer that offer a 6:1 magnification ratio........

Actually, there is Swarovski who offers their Z6 line with a 1:6 Magnification ratio.

Go here for a peek :

http://www.swarovskioptik.at/index.php? ... %2F%20Z6i#

Awesome scopes, but darn expensive :cry:

Although they are top notch optics, the very bad price to quality ratio make them very undesirable for my personal preference :wink:

Bluejay

Bluejay":3du9xmyp said:
Desert Fox":3du9xmyp said:
..... They are the only scope manufacturer that offer a 6:1 magnification ratio........

Actually, there is Swarovski who offers their Z6 line with a 1:6 Magnification ratio.

Go here for a peek :

http://www.swarovskioptik.at/index.php? ... %2F%20Z6i#

Awesome scopes, but darn expensive :cry:

Although they are top notch optics, the very bad price to quality ratio make them very undesirable for my personal preference :wink:

Bluejay
i have a z6 2.5-12x50 on the way . i will let you know what i think

John480":rk01y41p said:
i have a z6 2.5-12x50 on the way . i will let you know what i think

John,
a buddy of mine has the same scope with the TDS 4 reticle and I can already tell you you won't regret you bought it.

The scope has no downside, and it also acquires the "click adjustment" very easily, unlike the old Swarovski, which needed a box of ammo to be zeroed evry time you touched the turrets :lol:

As I said, apart from the price they are awesome scopes.

Cheers
Bluejay

Does anyone know if zeiss and swarovski scopes are any cheaper in germany or austria? May be going there later in the year and just wondering.

ldg397":142v388m said:
Does anyone know if zeiss and swarovski scopes are any cheaper in germany or austria? May be going there later in the year and just wondering.

I doubt it. With the value of the dollar falling against the Euro! I thinks it will cost you more.

Desert Fox":2osq891p said:
ldg397":2osq891p said:

I doubt it. With the value of the dollar falling against the Euro! I thinks it will cost you more.

I think so too.

You are probably much better off by buying them in the States.
Plus, Germany is a very expensive country (well, they have high salary though :wink: )

Bluejay

john480":1w2fgnek said:
how far are you from tuscan Italy ?im going there end of May

OT :oops: :shock: :grin:

John,
it depends which part of Tuscany you will be in.

Roughly, I would say something near 3 to 4 hours by car.

I live close to the lake of Como (15 minutes from Lecco) up in the mountains.

PM me.

Cheers Bluejay

Back