Need Advise Steyr or Tikka ?

Venado

Beginner
Jun 4, 2005
in need a good advise before i buy one of those rifles
im want either one in 7mm rem. mag.

both are grate rifles,thats the problem

In case you didn't know you can't buy a quality after-market stock for the Steyr...McMillan doesn't make one..either does Brown. I didn't like the stock of mine. At least Tikka gives you the accuracy guarantee, I'd expect the Tikka to be slightly more accurate in my experience. Either way it boils down to personal preference.

Brad

Venado,

I have two Steyr rifles, and I had a Tikka (a friend bought it from me). Both have good features.

I would hold the two rifles and see which felt better to me. The Tikka synthetic stock bothers some people.

The other aspect is barrel length. I want at least a 24" (>600 mm) barrel length. I don't remember what the factories are using now, but too short a barrel with the 7 mm Mag wastes a lot of velocity.

Good shooting...jim

Hi All,

Are you saying that since Berretta took control of Tikka they no longer list a wood stocked rifle?

I would go with the Tikka out of these two although some models of the Steyrs are very nice and if Tikka does not list a wood stock it would be Steyr all the way :grin:

Venado,
Have had several Steyr's Mod. M ,S ,SL and a SSG all are extreamly accurate will usually shoot .5MOA for 3-5 shot groups.The only drawback is that all accesories (scope rings, spare mags ) are expensive and hard to find on occasion.With the rear locking system on their bolts you can have a problem with case streach and head seperation if you full length resize cases.With neck sizing the problem is solved and you can expect 6-8 loading per case.
The Tika's are a 300Win. Mag and a 6.5X55 both shoot .5-.75 MOA these two have the synthetic stocks and are extreamly well made spare mags can be had and are pricey but not to the extent of the Styer.All have triple front locking lugs so there is not as large a problem with case streatch
Both have extreamly good triggers.The new Styer SBS 's are ok but have no eye appeal to me.Hope this long rant may help.
Bill

My Tikkas are: Sporter with wood stock in .223Rem. Whitetail Hunter in both 30-06 and 7mmRemMag, both with plastic stocks. These are the most accurate rifles out of the box that I have ever owned and being an FFL holder, I have over the past 40 years, been able to own a shoot a fair number of rifles.
Can't comment on Steyr, as I have not owned or shot any, save for the old milsurp Steyr Mausers. Steyr does enjoy a good rep, but IMO they are over-priced.

Back