need help getting started with my encore

sniper1379

Beginner
Jan 2, 2009
i have an encore and considering purchasing a muzzleloader barrel for it. can some one point me in the right direction in regards to primer, powder and bullet selection? it will be a .50cal for deer sized critters.

My encore groups 1" at 100 yards with open sights off the bench with the following load:

110 grains Triple 7, Win209, 348 aero-tip Powerbelt

Big bullet but shoots great and has harvested a few deer and one elk so far and hopefully another buck this Sept.

My 209x50 ProHunter has shot 2" groups at 200yds with its favorite load. I prefer 120gr of Blackhorn 209 powder under a 250gr Shockwave bullet with a magnum 209 primer.

For whatever its worth the rifle shoots just about as well with a 100gr charge.

My personal favourite in my Encore at this point is 100 BH209 lit by a Fed. 209A pushing a Precision Rifle 260 Dead Centre to within an inch at 100 yards & on occasion less if my age doesn't get in the way. Next trip to the range I will try 110 gr. & 120 gr. BH209. :grin:

One thing to note with the encore is that the way the stock is designed be careful in choosing your scope. You need one with all the eye relief you can get with the heavy kicking BP loads. It recoils straight back and will smack you in the eye if you are not careful.

150gr of Pydrox select and a 250 gr barnes bullet/sabot. Deadly on deer. They drop as if hit by lighting. Very accurate in several different guns.

Right on , 1Shot :roll: Whacked the bridge of my nose twice in the past month :oops: :oops: You'd think I'd learn after the first time :!: :evil: :roll:

nodak7mm":1drfmdma said:
2 pellets of 777 & 250gr Shockwaves works for me....

shot my first muzzel loading deer with that load :grin: a nice 9 point mullie
about 80 yards uphill,,, bang, flop,, and then slide down the hill to me :shock:
250gr shock waves have shot real well in my Encore

I too had the problem with the scope "punching me between the eyes. I installed a Simms(screw on) recoil pad (needed to lengthen the pull) and also added a comb riser to the stock.

Here is a link to the kit:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

This got my head down on the stock and my eyes in line with the scope. This made all the difference in the world for me. No more scope on the forehead.

I shoot a T/C Omega with a Leupold 3x9 scope. My brother loaned me the scope. It came off of one of his centerfire rifles.

My one inch group load is: 250gr Dead Center, 128gr (I weigh my loads) of 777 2f and I use a CCI 200 lg rifle primer in a 209 case. The primer set-up is a kit I purchased and made a difference in the way the gun groups.

I hope this might help.

Paul[/u]

Huntinfool, I also use the Precision Rifle 260 Dead Centre & with the same result, but I use 110 gr. BH209 (vol.) & a Fed. 209A sparker. Great bullet with excellent results :grin:

Back