Need help with elk and antelope load and bullet for 7MM Rem

Tom,

There is a difference between the 7mm 150 gr and 160 gr PT's.
Besides the weight, the jacket on the 160 gr is a little thicker.

JD338

I am pretty sure I am going with a 160 gr AB as a do-all load in my 7mm Wby. It will make things easier for me. The 140 is great for Whitetails but I think I'd rather whack Axis bucks & pigs with the 160. I think both are about as tough as a bull Elk. I talked to several (10+) Elk guides and was shocked that each one chose the 7mm Mag's as the go-to Elk gun. Only 2 out of twelve chose the 30-06.

The 160g AB is probly the best all around bullet of choice in a 7 mag for several reasons. First its a good weight, has good SD, and has a great BC. It will penetrate just as deep as the Partition, yet probly shoot more accurately, and hit harder due to its higher BC. You'll be able to drop deer and elk in there tracks with shoulder shots out to 600 yards at least with a 7 mag. If I had a .284" caliber rifle, this is the bullet I would shoot for the reasons stated above. You cant go wrong with this bullet for deer or elk, from short to long range.

I agree, the 160 gr AB is the way to go. I have settled on this bullet for my 280 AI. The accuracy is fantastic.

JD338

I'd like to add something here. When reloading, you would be wise to check your seating depth. Every gun is different and the published seating depths can get you in to trouble and that is why so many 7 Rem Mag loads are set at a conservatively low velocity. There is also a BAR out there.

My Sendero measured a SOL of 3.367". Backing off 0.030" places me in an area of 3.34" COL. I could go longer but the accuracy and velocity using 65 grains of Re 22 provide an average of 3105 fps. No signs of pressure problems either. IMR 7828 is also a good choice and so is H870 if you can find it.

I also neck size with a trim back to 2.490". Checking for SOL is something too many reloaders are not doing. You short change the capability of you rifle by not doing it. Some bullets, namely a Sierra 160 SPBT Gameking require a not to exceed 3.23"COL. Try hitting the published COL of 3.290" and you are looking for trouble with pressure. The reason was that the SOL measured 3.257" on average. Loading anything that touches the lands is dangerous. SO MEASURE the SOL...then you know where you are in going to heavy hot loads without sacrificing accuracy and early throat errosion.

Back