Need some suggestions - round stuck in chamber

338winmag

Handloader
Jan 9, 2011
Have a 30-06 round that was custom handloadeed for one rifle. The owner told me it was for another 30-06 rifle. The first attempt chambering was so that the bolt would not close. I knew not to force it. I tested with a second round and that was my mistake. The round is stuck in the chamber.

Aside from going to a gunsmith, any thoughts or suggestions. I was thinking of going to a store and purchasing esither a wood dowel or a steel rod to push it out. I did try a few pushes with my cleaning rod but it is not budging.

thank you for your time
338winmag

If it's just stuck in the leade of the barrel I would push it out with a wooden dowel without fear of the dowel splitting and jamming it in worse. You can also wrap duct tape one time around the dowel to help prevent splitting. I would soak it with penetrating oil overnight. Kroil, Liquid Wrench, etc...

CatskillCrawler":3tm6gbqd said:
If it's just stuck in the leade of the barrel I would push it out with a wooden dowel without fear of the dowel splitting and jamming it in worse. You can also wrap duct tape one time around the dowel to help prevent splitting. I would soak it with penetrating oil overnight. Kroil, Liquid Wrench, etc...

A few light taps should do the trick.

JD338

thanks everyone.
I will try the kroil. (actually it is sitting upright with kroil as I type)
I will try the light tapping but if that doesn't work, it is off to the gunsmith.

thank you all very much
Steve

If the round is still loaded, do not bang on it with a dowel or rod. It might fire.

Consider putting it in a freezer overnight; by morning, the case might have contracted enough to use the bolt's extractor.

In what rifle is this cartridge stuck?

George

NO DONT BEAT OR TAP ON A LIVE ROUND, I had a primer go off in a inertia bullet puller hammer just last week while pulling bullets. If it is stuck in the chamber it may not go off by tapping or lightly beating on it, but a primer is a percussion activated unit. If it does go off in the chamber you are going to experience a problem.

I have tapped several live rounds out of chambers. Use your head, don't stand in front or behind it, take the bolt out, put the gun in a bench vise and knock it out. Ammo ins not that volitile, it doesn't go off when dropped, it takes a pretty good primer strike to set it off.

If it wasn't jammed in it should tap out very easily. One way or another it is getting tapped out of that barrel. There is no other way to get it out. If it makes you feel better it's probably a good idea to soak the primer with a penetrating oil. That should render the primer inoperable. If a smith does or you do it's got to be tapped out.

I tried the soaking over night with the penetrating oil and then tapping with cleaning rod with duct tape. No Go

I cannot imagine it in so tight seeing that the bolt never was pushed down.

Regardless, I have decided to have the owner take it to a gunsmith and pay the $35.00. There is probably a 99.9% chance it is impossible to go off hitting it from the bullet end, but if some how the powder ignites from the bullet friction or whatever a wierd thing, I want to make it to 3rd hunting season this year.

I have learned a few lessons here and also got exccelent reply response on my favorite forum :) so not all is lost.

thanks every single poster
338winmag

The problem is much like a case stuck in a sizing die but with more potential hazard. So, heat is not a good idea but maybe freezing would help. You could try putting the barreled action in a freezer for a couple of hours and try tapping it out from the muzzle end. Another idea that might be useful is filling the bore with Kroil and tapping a cleaning rod with a tight-fitting patch on it to force the fluid further into the chamber. That might not actually get it any further down in there, the stuff penetrates well on its own...but then again, it just might do that and help loosen it up.

Yup I tried the Kroil tirck overnight. still a no go
Owner took rifle to a gunsmith.
thanks

I got myself into the same pickle awhile back. I tried putting one of my neck sized pre-64 270 rounds into a Remington 721 that I had. I tried everything to get it out with no luck. Took it to my gunsmith, who had a tool similar to an automotive dent puller, and after three wacks it came out. Learned an important lesson that day that not all .270 Win chambers are to the same spec and if you're not full length resizing--watch out!
Joe

Back