Need to pick a new barrel – 7 mm., .300 or 8 x 68 S ?

jagermeister

Beginner
Jun 1, 2012
After considering a few options (included a new rifle…) I have come to the conclusion that the best option for my case would be to get another barrel (the third one…) for my Rifle.
I’ve had this rifle for a while.
It is a hunting super lightweight single shot break open, that allows barrel changing in a blink of an eye and no tools needed.
A dream to carry up the Mountains, especially on those tough hikes with a heavy backpack.
It needs, of course, dedicated mount and optic for each barrel, but I’ve got that already…..
Not easy to shoot, due to its thin shape and lightweight, but once mastered, capable of sub Moa accuracy.

Well, the options I am considering would be based on the same barrel profile and length….and cost !
Recoil won’t be an issue as I’m going to put a muzzle break on, which then will not make any substantial difference between those calibers.
Intended use would be long range hunting on big game (comparable size animals ranging from a small Whitetail to a large Elk…).
Possible Caliber choices as follows :
1. 7 mm. Blaser Mag. – 1 : 9,5” 26” barrel
2. 7 Rem.Mag. – 1 : 9,5” 26” barrel
3. .300 Win.Mag. – 1 : 11” 26” barrel
4. 300 Blaser Mag. – 1 : 11” 26” barrel
5. 8 x 68 S - 1 : 11” 26” barrel
Which one would you suggest ?
Most importantly, which one would you consider the most accurate ?
Just a few “instinctive” personal considerations…..
• For bullets availability, I’d take the 8 x 68S off the list…..
• For Reloading equipment/brass availability, I’d also take the two Blaser Magnum off this list….
• Comparing downrange energy performance on the biggest Critters, I’d take the 7 Rem. off this list….
There you have it ! But that was me….what would YOU consider in choosing one over the others ?
I’d like to also hear your thoughts….
Given the twist rates, what would the heaviest possible bullets to be well stabilized for each caliber ?
I’d guess 200/210 for the .300 and 162/168 for the 7 mm….
I intend to handload, thus commercially available ammo’s will not matter…
Thank you in advance for your input.

JM
(y)

.270 Weatherby Magnum is on their list as is the 6.5X55 SE (6.5 Swedish rated to higher pressure). I would choose the 7mm Rem Mag or .300 win mag, leaning towards the .300. Very accurate round and hard hitting.

Both 6.5 and 270WM are flat shooting and hard hitting at distance with modern bullets available. 6.5 would be a bit light for Elk if they are on your quarry list.

I'd toss a coin and pick the 300 or 7mm Blaser. Cool case design and both have EXCELLENT Bullets to cover anything in almost any environment. The 7 will recoil a bit less and probably be a touch more accurate but either would probably be just fine.

I would suggest the 8x68Schüler. You might not be able to buy 175 different kinds of bullets in .323" like in all the other calibers, but one of the about +45 available bullets in .323" will do the job. Don´t worry..:LOL

I'm certainly enjoying my 8X68S. It does pack a punch sufficient to handle anything in NA and most of Africa. Not a thing wrong with the other choices listed--each has some strong points to recommend it. Consequently, my 8X68S has a 26 inch barrel, as does what you plan.

Well, I finally decided and went with the .300 Win.Mag.

8x68S was really intriguing and had a thought at the 300 Blaser Mag as well....

Strong points that made me choose that caliber were :

- Wide availability of reloading components (not only bullets, but especially brass). With both the Blaser Mags and 8x68S there is only one choice (good quality I know, but also pretty darn expensive and, for the Blaser, hard to find....) which are Norma and RWS.

- Wide availability of reloading Dies

- Good reputation for accuracy

- Being my rifle a Break open single shot, the presence of the belt is somehow a plus, as it works almost as a rimmed cartridge...

- Last, but not least, I have tried the exact same set-up in a friend's rifle at the range (same rifle, same caliber, same barrel and same muzzle brake) and that thing shoots super plenty accurate even for the longest shots.

Let's just hope mine will shoot just as good when it arrives (few months....).

(y)

You will not regret it one bit! I have killed just 'some" American game and plenty of South African/Namibia game with the 300 Win Mag and the older Barnes 180XBT. We used R22 and 76gr for right at 3100 fps from a 24" barrel. It almost always shot completely through in animals up to zebra. it also worked just fine for animals as small as Impala. It's just one great round. Have a great time with it!

Back