Need your input Handi 45-70 with 300gr Sierra handload

iraqvet13f

Beginner
Dec 27, 2011
OK everyone,
Im looking for some input from everyone on a hand load I just loaded and shot for my 45-70 Hnadi Rifle. I know this is the Nosler site, but I would like as much input as possible. No disrespect to you Nosler diehards. Here what I have:

Hand Loads:
Sierra 300gr FN HP Pro Hunter
Win Brass (New)
CCI 200
Powder: Hodgdons: H4198
Charge: 47 grains Exactly (all weighed to the exact grain) Manual says "Trapdoor Level"
MV: ???? Suspect about 1950 ish (No Chrono)

Sighted in at 32 yards. Didnt have a bigger range. Loaded and shot from back yard into a gully.
I loaded for accuracy, this was the most accurate from MY rifle. I had 2 fliers but after 18 test rounds, the last 5 fired were kickin me pretty got and had 2 fliers where I jerked the trigger. Anyone else shoot this load, or something close. Im needing some info on what I can expext for max range and down range performance. I prefer a slow hit than a fast miss...Here are the pics. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 811
  • IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 811
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 811
It looks pretty good from up here. Accuracy is what you want, and the old war horse seems to deliver that quite well.

Thanks DrMike

Just not sure whatto expect for down range trajectory / performance. Thanks again for looking.

My load for my 1895 Guide 45-70 is a Nosler 300 gr BST, 59.0 grs H322, R-P case and Federal GM210M promer.
MV is 2098 fps, ES 31 SD 12. Best group went .400" at 100 yds.

JD338

It is hard to tell right now, but I would expect you are in the 1800-2000 FPS range, which is just right for the softer Sierra. Seems like accuracy is pretty good as well. It would be a good 150-200 yard load, depending on your sighting set up.

Yeah I suspect it is running 1900 to 2000 fps. The wifes Uncle ran same bullet and powder at 51gr thru his Marlin levergun and was getting about 2150 to 2180fps. So again just a guess-tamation for velocity.

I dont plan to use the 45-70 for anything Long Range, from 0 to 150 yards max.

So you say the Sierra 300 is softer? How so? You talking the lead, or thinner jacket?

Is the Overall performance lacking for this bullet? Bad choose of bullet? PLease explain

I want to go up to a 400gr Speer, as I shot several rounds the wifes uncle' loaded, Not to hot.. and was very accurrate from my Handi Rifle.

And all the gun shop had available at the time was what I loaded. Guess I will have to order off line, or make a special order for components.

Thanks again

IraqVet, there isn't a thing wrong with the 300 Sierra if you keep it to a sane speed and don't try pushing it much over 2000FPS. They are a softer bullet and will expand excellent (not that a 45 cal needs to expand)! If you start pushing them faster they will come apart. At your current load, I think they will work fine, near and far. If your ordering bullets, take a look at the 350 Hornady, it is tough and pretty inexpensive. The Speer 400's are pretty decent as well, and man, they open wide! Good luck, it sounds like you have a solid load ready to hunt.

Use the Sierras in your 45-70 with full confidence. You'll do quite well at the velocities generated in your Handi-rifle.

Well Thanks to ya'll for your input, and help!!!!

Being new to the 45-70 world, and reloading world, I have a lot to learn!!

I baught the 45-70 Handi for hunting the Muzzleloader-Black Powder season here in Louisiana.

I do have a GPR 54 cal Cap and Ball that I enjoy, and it is accurate, but the humidity kills it. Dampness is not a friend to Black Powder or any substitute. WOrked great in Kansas, but no so great in Louisiana.

So behold the great war horse 45-70 has found a new home / new arms room!!!!

Gunna be a blast, and I may use it indefinate to hunt here in Louisiana, and where ever I may go, except open plains, leave that to the -06.

Thanks again for everyones input!!!!!

Good shooting: Keep them in the 10 ring!!!

iraqvet13f,

You would have to look long and hard to find a better group of guys than here on the Nosler forum. Everyone is very helpful with many, many years of combined reloading knowledge.

Bill

DrMike":xl9oow6d said:
Use the Sierras in your 45-70 with full confidence. You'll do quite well at the velocities generated in your Handi-rifle.

Agreed. A 300 Sierra PH @2030s'(H322, Fed 210, Win brass) recovered from a whitetail, a slight quartering away uphill shot out of a NEF 45-70 ( affectionately known as Thumper! ) at about 75 yards give or take.
It entered roughly 4" behind and a little low of the left shoulder and was under the hide in the right "leg pit". :grin:
91cxi1.jpg

Bill

Bill, that is a great looking recovery right there. Seem like it is the sweet spot for that bullet!

iraqvet13f":95avwicr said:
Well Thanks to ya'll for your input, and help!!!!

Being new to the 45-70 world, and reloading world, I have a lot to learn!!

I baught the 45-70 Handi for hunting the Muzzleloader-Black Powder season here in Louisiana.

I do have a GPR 54 cal Cap and Ball that I enjoy, and it is accurate, but the humidity kills it. Dampness is not a friend to Black Powder or any substitute. WOrked great in Kansas, but no so great in Louisiana.

So behold the great war horse 45-70 has found a new home / new arms room!!!!

Gunna be a blast, and I may use it indefinate to hunt here in Louisiana, and where ever I may go, except open plains, leave that to the -06.

Thanks again for everyones input!!!!!

Good shooting: Keep them in the 10 ring!!!

iraqvet13f

You are ready to go and you will not have a problem getting out to 200+ yds.
That load is going to flatten deer. You are going to have to see it to believe it. :wink:

JD338

BillPa":3naou1zv said:
DrMike":3naou1zv said:

Agreed. A 300 Sierra PH @2030s'(H322, Fed 210, Win brass) recovered from a whitetail, a slight quartering away uphill shot out of a NEF 45-70 ( affectionately known as Thumper! ) at about 75 yards give or take.
It entered roughly 4" behind and a little low of the left shoulder and was under the hide in the right "leg pit". :grin:
91cxi1.jpg

Bill

Bill,

Welcome to the forum.
Nice catch! Perfect mushroom from a very dead deer. Well dome.

JD338

iraqvet13f, welcome!

There is something very cool about the .45/70 and I think that you will thoroughly enjoy hunting with it.

Take a look in the .458 cal bullet test section for a better look at how various .458" bullets performed on game, and in bullet tests. Quite a few of these guys have got a .45/70 of one kind or another tucked away in the gun safe, hauled out for those times when hunting black timber or other closer range environs.

.458" bullet tests link: viewforum.php?f=63

Regards, Guy

I was using 58.0 grains of IMR 3031 with the Hornady 350 FN or HP. Velocity chrono'ed at about 2100 fps, accuracy in my 1895 Marlin rifle (22 inch barrel) was MOA or close at 100 yards.

Target is shot from NRA sitting position, no sling, "3 shots on three targets and out", no rest except knees for elbows. Taped holes are Conquest scope sighter shots on center bull. Group is <MOA with shot #1 and 2 nearly touching at 100 yards. Wind gust (R) to (L) 10 knots on third shot. Some Marlins will shoot.
45-708-11-11001jpg.jpg

I have never had another lever that would shoot like this. I can understand why the old timers used the .45-70 for buffalo at 200 yards.

Back