Neighbor Boy Learning to Fish

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I received this message today as an e-mail from my neighbor/friend (Caleb T.) He sent it to me, Tina, my wife, and Roland (Rol_P). His children have been learning to fish the past couple of years. Noah, the oldest, has become pretty self-sufficient. No smart phone video games for this kid! He is not even my child, but I am very proud of him.

Hi Roland, Dan, and Tina,

Noah has been itching to try fishing after the rain and flooding cleared a lot of weeds from the pond. He had gone on an "date day" with his mom to celebrate his birthday ( Aug. 14th he turns 12!) in the morning/afternoon. He ran out fishing when they got home and was there for a few hours (with a dinner and chore break in-between). It didn't take long for him to start hammering the big ones! I went over to check on his progress, and he had already caught several keeper bass, even before dinner! I stayed and made a few casts while he was searching for the lure he wanted. It didn't take long for me to catch a nice one as well!

Noah caught at least 10 bass, and some other pan fish as well! He opted to release the smaller 12-14 inchers he caught. He caught 3 over 15 inches!! The biggest was 17! (Yes, his fish was bigger than mine!)

Noah has become quite the fisherman but learned last night after 3 lost fish (and lures) that he needs to bring a net to land the fish. They seemed to like a generic yellow spinner bait, and a Mepps Black Fury #0 the best! He tied his own knots, and helped Fillet/clean all that he kept.

I think it's almost time to upgrade his rod, reel, and line weight!

Caleb T.
IMG_20240812_210640059.jpg

IMG_20240812_210748326.jpg

IMG_20240812_210953602.jpg
Dan

Outstanding.
He's catching some bragging size bass!

JD338

The lad has some fine dining displayed. He has done a superb job.

Way to go. Learning to catch fish as well as catch and release. Keep up the good work. Dan.

Back