Nephew's 223

sask boy

Ammo Smith
Nov 4, 2007
Hi Guys, it looks like I am going to be busy loading until the new year.
I am picking up dies today for my nephew's 223.
He will be using it strictly for dogs so if anyone has some good loads I would really appreciate the data.
He is shooting a Savage FV 26" tube with 1-9 twist.
By the way he shoots lefties as well :wink:
Thanking everyone in advance.

Blessings,
Dan

My go to!

223 REM 50 NBT 27.5/H4895 3450 FPS .3"/100 yards REM case Fed Small Rifle 2.285"

With the 1-9 twist it might be a chance to try out the 60 grain BT... That would rattle some dog cages...

I load the 52 grain CC HPBT with H335, Hornady case, Rem 7 1/2, 2.255". Mine is a 9 twist and doesn't care for the anything above 55 grains.

Only thing I can suggest to you is make sure you have your bullet perfectly square before you seat or you will be going through a ton of cases. That's something I learned real quick after my first 20 cases and I ruined 4. Have fun and be prepared for many hours at the bench!!

52gr Berger HPV or A-max, 24.9grs of Benchmark, CCIBR4, and Lapua Brass. I am getting 3274fps and .2" to .5" groups and I believe I am the veriable.

A 52 gr Nosler Match should do just as good I was keeping to varmit bullets but I hear the Nosler Match 52gr will expand very well so I will have to try them too.

55 gr. Ballistic Tip, 25.5 gr Varget, Fed. Match primer, and an FC case. I can't remember the COAL off the top of my head, but this load is more accurate than I am out of my Savage 12 .223.

Fotis, I can't near 27.5grs of H4895 in the case. in my 223 cases.?

Blessings,
Dan

I have had good luck with 52g AMAXs with 25.5g of Reloader 15. OAL is specific to my rifle (and I would have to look). I have smoked plenty of groundhogs with this load and get very tight range groups. I have also has good luck on steel out to 400 yards. The rifle is a suppressed Savage 10.

WC, do you have a the load details? charge, speed and coal?

Blessings,
Dan

ROVERT":3tdb8v96 said:
55 gr. Ballistic Tip, 25.5 gr Varget, Fed. Match primer, and an FC case. I can't remember the COAL off the top of my head, but this load is more accurate than I am out of my Savage 12 .223.

Shoots lights out in my 1/8 Tikka too.

50 gr. Hornady V-max and H335 has shot well out of numerous .223's for me, 25-27.5 grs has been the sweet spot on all of them.

sask boy":pwy527uq said:
WC, do you have a the load details? charge, speed and coal?

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,

25.5gr of Benchmark at just under AR mag length. I will check my notes when i get home. Still standing in line to vote! Everybody walking out is saying it is still atleast another hour!

I figured out Fotis load which is compressed. I have it shooting .75 MOA with out tuning it.
Thanks Fotis :wink:
While at the range today a young fellow was shooting some time of assault rifle and stated he did not reload. I got almost 3 boxes of once fired 223 win brass. Also got a box of once fired 25-06 and another box of 270win brass.
Lots of deer hunters at the range that shoot once or twice a year.

Blessings,
Dan

Back