New Barrel?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I have been fighting with a Browning A-Bolt in 7mmRM for over a year and am no further ahead today then when I started. I shot again today and am calling it quits for now until I come up with a new plan. I want to use the same action and stock because this was my late father-in-laws rifle. I also want to have a 7mmRM because it reminds me of a great friend that used one.

So...do you know of a smith that would work on an A-Bolt? I've heard they are tough to work on because of the lock-tite on the threads. Also, what barrel would you order to shoot 150 grain bullets?

Thanks for the help.

How bad is bad?

I've heard nothing but good about Browning taking care of Browning. Maybe worth a phone call?

One group 1.5" then the next with the same loads 3.5". It is never the same and I have tried different bullets and powders. Factory ammo shoots 2.5-3.5" most of the time.

Rob Canz
Williams Gun Sight
7389 Lapeer Road
Davison, MI 48423
810 653 2131

JD338

First step is always try the manufacturer. Quite often they will make it right.

Have you.......
Check for stock clearance
check action screw tightness
Check scope ring/base tightness
Check that no screws are bottoming out
Take a good look at the crown

Do groups just open up or do they migrate too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The call to Browning isn't a bad idea, but if that doesn't turn up good info there is nothing from stopping you sending it to Krieger, Bartlein or Brux. They are all right in Wisconsin and can do smith work on site.

I'd suggest a 1-8 but a 1-9 would work fine as well. The extra twist won't hurt a thing.

I've had great results in the past, with 7mm Rem mag rifles and the 160 & 175 gr bullets.

I'd go with Krieger in a heartbeat, have them duplicate the factory barrel contour so it fits your existing stock nicely, and twist it at 1:9, or if you want to spin the new, looooong bullets someday, go with a faster twist.

My 1-9 twist barrel shot 140's, 150, 160's and 175's well.

Good luck on your project!

Guy

Well, I called Browning and they said to sent the rifle in and they will look at it. I asked if they would put a new barrel on it and he said it is a case by case decision. So, do I send it in and let them determine my fate, or do I move forward and get a different barrel from another company????

Send it in and get their analysis of the cause/problem. You can then make an informed decision as to what you would like to do.

Or you can cut to the chase and go get a custom barrel to your specifications and end up with a shooter.

JD338

If you have the money to put a custom barrel on it then don't even mess with Browning. Very few factory barrels can come close to a top name custom barrel. Most aren't finicky and take a lot less load development.

IdahoCTD":2kbok3px said:
If you have the money to put a custom barrel on it then don't even mess with Browning. Very few factory barrels can come close to a top name custom barrel. Most aren't finicky and take a lot less load development.

That's what I was thinking. It'll be a treat to shoot.

The great enablers of Nosler Forum!!! You guys are the best at spending other's money. I love it.

Now to make the decision, send to Browning or go custom???

For sure, you'll never regret a good custom barrel. However, it does seem to me that Browning deserves the respect of at least looking at the rifle. I've shot quite a few Browning rifles, and they can make quite a good product. If they are willing to look at it, I would be inclined to let them at least have a chance.

WT,
Keep in mind the turn around time. If Browning sits on it and then they rebarrel, rebed, etc, you will be hard pressed to get a custom barrel and a second round of load development done in time for hunting this fall. A good gun smith would get it back to you over the summer and allow you time to get your load work done so you can hunt her this fall.

JD338

Jim makes a good point. I would want to know the turn around time before I committed to send it to Browning. To get a barrel contoured to match your barrel it will take 5-6 months from most of the top makers and even longer if you have them do the gunsmithing (BTW I heard Brux was running 2-3 months recently). So I would take that into consideration if your wanting to use the rifle this fall. If Browning sits on it very long you wouldn't have time to order the other barrel and get it installed before fall should they not fix it.

My best friend has owned a closet full of Abolts, and most of them easily shot MOA or better. If you would be happy with normal Browning Abolt accuracy, send it to Browning. I would want to know what they would charge to put a new factory barrel on it before sending it out. For instance, you might disagree with their assessment (perhaps to recrown the muzzle) and just want a new barrel put on.

On the other hand, if you want to know for sure you're going to have outstanding accuracy, send it to one of the barrel makers in WI. If you go that route, I like the idea of sending the whole gun and having them match the Browning barrel taper, so it is still a drop in fit and everything stays the same. Good luck with it. BN

Thanks for the great help. I talked to a gunsmith today that provided me with great info. He said the A-Bolt action cannot be trued and made square due to how thin the metal is so even with a custom barrel, there is a chance it might not shoot the best that it could if it were trued. He gave me three ideas.

1) send it to Browning and pay $350 for a new factory barrel and hope for the best
2) send it to him and pay $700 for a custom and it should shoot better
3) sell it and use the money to buy a new Model 70, Rem 700 or XBolt

I think the idea that works best for me is option 3 right now. I think I am going to post it on a few local boards and see what happens from there. I have other rifles to hunt with this fall so that is not the worry. I just don't want to spend a pile of money on hopes right now.

I hope you look at the custom barrel approach. Can't hurt to send it to Browning, while at the same time ordering a new barrel. If it comes out they wanna rebarrel, have it sent back and you likely have a barrel enroute to have your pick of smiths do the work. If Browning can fix it, then it's pretty easy to sell a good custom barrel and not lose much if any money.

What about scoping the bore just to see if there is an easy answer? My old 7 rem mag ABolt likes to foul badly and then it acts like you are describing. It took much effort to get back to a clean bore and takes regular cleaning to keep up with it. When it is clean, it shoots gnat nuts off. Someday it will be shot out and will be a custom rebuild. I just have a ton of attachment to it so I put up with it.

I think the difficulty in truing the action has more to do with the assymetry of the action itself, not thin metal. The centerline of the bore is not the centerline of the action. They have shaped the top of the action by removing a fair amount of steel to have a "flat-top" action. I have been told, not sure I believe, that the action is already to very tight specs and really doesn't need to be trued anyway. I shall see in the very near future how smithing an ABolt goes. My 25-06 gets a custom barrel when the reamer finally gets here. I expect great things.

I would opt of number 2 on your list if you have some sentimental attachment to the rifle. By the time you pick up a new factory rifle to replace it, you have a decent chance to have the same problems. Try a custom barrel. You will like it.

Back