new bear bait rifle Ruger 96/44

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
Since my son is left eye dominant and shoots left handed I have started collecting quite a few lever actions. While probably more of an excuse to pick up all the cool lever actions I have ever wanted it does make picking up a new rifle more amenable to the old lady :grin:

I had spotted a Ruger 96/44 at the used rack in the new Cabelas that just opened up here in Anchorage. I used to have one in 22 mag and it was one handy little rifle. I figure this little rifle would make a nice handy rifle to carry on the wheeler and be a good bear bait rifle for black bear. My boy should be able to handle the recoil and it should work well on close range shots on blackbear, deer, and even moose with the right ammo.

I stuck a 1x20 pine ridge scope on it that I had picked up for my sons 22. I’ll probably switch to a 1-4 or 2.5x leupy down the road. I plan on trying it out this weekend with some 240gr blazers. I’m curious what kind of muzzle velocity bump I will pick up with that 18.5” of barrel.

Any of you guys have any experiences with this rifle or any carbine length 44 and performance on game.

5ecf9367e5ef4f489009bd015e630862_zpsf85bd8ed.jpg

I have the old semi-auto version in 44Mag and have used it on deer and hogs. Performs very well on both. You won't be under gunned.Rick.

It's got to be even better than the performance I've seen from my 5" .44 mag revolver, which shot right through a mulie doe at modest range using 240 gr JHP factory ammo.

I always likes the rifle. Any idea of barrel twist???? Curious if it handle 300 Gr slugs.

I always likes the rifle. Any idea of barrel twist???? Curious if it handle 300 Gr slugs.

20 gr H110 and 300 XTP or Sierra and no bear is safe

Black bears die pretty easy, I figure pretty much any 240 or heavier JSP or jhp should do well out to 125-150 yards

Nice piece!

A buddy of mine shot one and had trouble getting the heavier bullets under the max length of the magazine. He had great results with the 240gr JSP... and he reckoned no need for anything heavier.

hodgeman":2hy99kha said:
Nice piece!

A buddy of mine shot one and had trouble getting the heavier bullets under the max length of the magazine. He had great results with the 240gr JSP... and he reckoned no need for anything heavier.

I would imagine a Swift or Hardcast 250 would hammer anything within 150 yards..

Nice find. Should fit the bill perfectly.

JD338

I have a Ruger .44 Auto carbine of 80' manufacture. Some of my old buddies had them several years earlier than that. Our woods can get real thick and this is a real handy rifle with good power for both deer and hogs. Never been in on a bear kill with one so can't comment on fact, but I think the rifle would do well with the proper cartridge.
With the steel buttplate and light weight the rifle can have a sharp kick. And though I have smoothed a couple of triggers up they are still pretty rough. I don't want to do another one.
Mr. Bill Ruger designed the carbine to function with the 240 gr. bullet as that was what we had back then. It is still, IMHO, the best bullet weight for that gun. I don't see as where the lever action is any different.
For deer, hogs, and I would include black bear, I shoot a soft point. The older HP's that I used years ago often gave poor performance as they sometimes came apart at the higher velocitys of the rifle barrel.
I shoot maximum loads of either 296 or 2400. Both work great though some claim 2400 burns a little dirtier. I have a can of newer 2400 and it doesn't seem too bad to me. I consider this a 100 yd. gun though I know of some good bucks taken at greater distances.

My buddy scored on one of our baits last night. Shot this big girl with a 458 Lott. The little 44 might have been a little light for this one!

6apegybe.jpg

Thebear_78":2p65emu6 said:
The little 44 might have been a little light for this one!

6apegybe.jpg

Light? Ya' think! Fine looking brownie, though. Congratulations to your compadre.

They are very fun rifles, I have the 99/44 Deerfield and it prints nice inch and a half groups at 100 yards.

Very nice bear! That is beautiful! Way to go.

Cool rifle as well. Those are the sorta animals that make that rifle feel pretty small, pretty fast!

Shot the little 44 tonight. I'm very impressed with this little rifle. It shot some cheap blazers into one hole groups at 25yards, open sights printed dead on at 25 and were hitting about 4" low at 100 yards.

I'm not impressed with the cabelas 1x20 scope. The wind age knob adjusted the wrong direction, then stopped adjusting at all. I think a 1 or 1-4 would be ideal on this little rifle.

Luckily I had a 2-7 that I was going to try on my muzzle loader and put on it to try out at 100 yards. I thinks it's a little too much glass but actually balances well, and will probably stay on there for a while. While not a bench rest rifle it did turn in very good 1.5" 3 shot and 2.25" 5 shot group at 100 yards.

The blazers weren't quite as quick as I expected at only 1350fps. Recoil was negligible and should be no problem for my 10 year old son.

y2y7ehu2.jpg

Sounds as if you're getting it whipped into shape for the coming season. I'm certain your son can handle that. Looks like a good setup for a lad.

Here's mine. This is about as close to the Ruger lever action as you can get. This was my wifes deer rifle and a gun is just a tool to her, hence the scratches. The inside is much better looking as that's my department.
The rifle usually wears either a Leupold Vari X II 3X9, or a Aimpoint 9000 SC Camo, right now it's in the safe as she sits.
I taught the kids, and my wife, to shoot with my Ruger .22 carbine, then transitioned to the .44 Carbine. All controls are the same as the basic dimensions. No brainer.
Plus the recoil is not daunting for younger shooters if they don't try to shoot too many rounds.
I keep this around as I like it. And it's light. And it gets the job done.

Attachments

• 44 Carbine.jpg
    44 Carbine.jpg
    804.2 KB · Views: 1,916
Back