new cartrige for a noob reloader

goose25

Beginner
Mar 3, 2007
I started reloading this spring for my .30-06, so I am still fairly new to this. I have a new rifle on the way, a .243 with a 1:9 twist (26" barrel). I got a couple questions...

What can I do to extend the barrel life of my .243? are moly bullets worth the extra coin? how many rounds can I expect to go through before I see my accuracy go south with regular copper plated bullets?

should I resize .308 brass, or just get .243 brass?

what are the "go to" powders for the .243?

I want to develope a load for punching paper. Generally speaking, what are the dissadvantages/advantages to a heavier/lighter bullet for target shooting? whats better, slow and heavy (also longer), or light and fast (short)?

any dissadvantages/advantages to FMJ bullets (again, for target shooting)?

I'd go with IMR 4350 and maybe Varget for both calibers. I'd look at 4350, 4831, and RL-22 for 243 95-107 grain bullets. FMJ are fine for paper but for your 243 with a 9 twist, I'd start with a 105 a-max or 107 match king for my top picks. 95 Berger #3 Pick.

goose25,

The 243 Win is a fun caliber to load for. Quite easy to find accurate loads and easy on the shoulder.

I would use regular jacketed bullets, stay away from the mess of molly coat.

Although you can resize 308 Win brass, I would just go buy a bag od 243 Win brass. You will have the correct head stamp.

Good powders are IMR4895 for light bullets and IMR4350 for heavier bullets.
The 100 gr bullets are better for long range shooting because they have a higher BC.

JD338

you should have no problem getting 3-4 thousand good accurate rounds from a 243 minimum.

I would stay away from moly because of the following: Molly attracts moisture, Molly is hard to get out (need to use Jb bore paste or simmalar product), Molly will only slow your fowling down a bit (50 - 100 good rounds between cleaning vs 25-50 rds). Sure molly can give you more barrel life if you take care of it, but it is more maintanece in the long run because you have to make sure that you get ALL the copper out prior to moly and All the molly out for storage. I rusted the bore of my rem 30-06 because of moisture and moly.

you may want to use the heaviest bullet possible for long range target shooting.

Just my humble opinion

good luck, Mark

Back