New Girl

Thanks, Dan. It's kinda funny, I guess my short attention span helps in this case. I get out of my van, reach for the Kodiak that I kept in a pocket in the door, realize I don't have a can, then I'm immediately thinking about something else.

Those work related times were tough for me, particularly when I was guiding. Get the boat set up, rods ready, check knots and drags, make sure no body borrowed my net, pop in a chew.
4days, you're doing great. It will get a little easier from here on out. Proud of you my friend

"Well, it starts tomorrow. I just took my last dip from my last last can about five minutes ago. Be happy you won't have to have any personal interaction with me."

Four days so far, good for you. I quit smoking back in 1975 and one of the things that helped was drink a lot of water. Every time you pee you are flushing that nicotine out of your system. Another helper is when you start to reach for the can that isn't there, tell yourself, "I choose not to chew at this time." Having a buddy to talk to when you feel you're getting weak is also a big help. Dunno if you're a praying man but prayer helps too. I'll put you on my prayer list for success.
Paul b.

Thanks, fellas. Doing well so far. Paul, that's a good idea, I don't drink nearly enough water. The short attention span that helps forget about the nicotine apparently comes back to bite me when it comes to remembering to drink water. Doh!

Hang in there! When the cravings hit tell yourself, "If I can go four days, I can go the next hour." Then, when the hour is up tell yourself, "If I could make through the last hour, I can go the rest of the day." Repeat each day as needed.

I went through a similar "stop smoking plan". I found a rifle I wanted but I didn't have enough cash on hand to buy it. So, I thought, if I can go three days without a smoke, I will go to the bank and take out a personal loan, buy the rifle, and then use my cigarette money to pay the loan off. Since I really wanted the rifle, I was able to go the three days. Knowing I had a loan payment coming up, I was able NOT buy cigarettes and NOT to smoke. By the time the loan was paid off, I had kicked the habit. Over time I found out I could support my shooting habit completely with what it cost to smoke.

Good luck and best wishes.
Pointed out to my cousin how much he spent on cigarettes, and he never took the time to realize it. He quit when the cost got more than he was willing to spend. It adds up for sure.

Great work kicking the habit.
I smoked and chewed at the same time. I smoked cigars and would chew it more then I would smoke it, I would end up chewing over half of it, when I got down to the ambers I would bite it off and put it out.
I ended up getting hypnotized to quit smoking and chewing and that was over 25 years ago, to this day I can't stand the smell of cigarette/cigar smoke or stale butts.

Great work kicking the habit.
I smoked and chewed at the same time. I smoked cigars and would chew it more then I would smoke it, I would end up chewing over half of it, when I got down to the ambers I would bite it off and put it out.
I ended up getting hypnotized to quit smoking and chewing and that was over 25 years ago, to this day I can't stand the smell of cigarette/cigar smoke or stale butts.
I used to smoke a fair amount of cigars. It never became a habit.... I dunno if it's because I don't smoke in vehicles, or because I don't want to smell like smoke all day, or if because every place I've worked puts the kibosh on smoking in rigs.

Back