New Girl

"She’s a 300 H&H Figure I’ll run 180s out of her"

Sounds like a good start. My Ruger #1s in 300 Win. mag all seem to thrive on the 200 gr. Speer Hot Core. I Had good results with H4831 but even better with the long discontinued WMR. (Winchester magnum Rifle) I'm thinking of adding another Ruger #1 to the family if I can find one in .35 Whelen in good shape.
Paul B.

Don,
I envy you.
Not for the rifle but for being able to kick the monkey off your back. Been chewing since I was fourteen. I’ll be the big six zero in a couple years.
Vince

Don
I was just thinking.....and that's always dangerous.
I wouldn't mind having a 300 H&H Mag and if I did, I would run 180 gr Partitions. Just for old times sake.

JD338

Both my H&H like the 220gr Sierra RN. Best looking cartridge/bullet combination ever. At home from Alaska to Africa😄

I didn't get a chance to shoot her before we left. I do have 40 cases prepped and ready to load. I like the idea of running partitions 180s would be my first choice. I have VX3s on a couple of my #1 and like them (3.5x10x 44) a buddy has the 2.5x8x36 on his#1. Looks better in my opinion. I'll probably buy a 2.5x8 when we get home, swap it out on my 257. Put the 3.5 x10 on the 300.

Last edited:
Well, it starts tomorrow. I just took my last dip from my last last can about five minutes ago. Be happy you won't have to have any personal interaction with me.
Get your jar set up, go to the bank tomorrow and fill an envelope with five dollar bills. Tomorrow after dinner put a five dollar bill in the jar. When you pat your pocket after dinner, looking for your can, take the dog and go for a walk.
Buy a book, or four, when all the family stuff is done, do not crack a beer and sit down in front of the TV. That will kill your efforts. Take your book, get in your bunk and read. First three days physically hurt, it gets easier after that. Three weeks you'll be human again. Three months you'll be bragging and folks that care will be proud of you. Three years you'll still be patting your pocket after dinner, go stick a five dollar bill in the jar.
Good luck,
Don

Get your jar set up, go to the bank tomorrow and fill an envelope with five dollar bills. Tomorrow after dinner put a five dollar bill in the jar. When you pat your pocket after dinner, looking for your can, take the dog and go for a walk.
Buy a book, or four, when all the family stuff is done, do not crack a beer and sit down in front of the TV. That will kill your efforts. Take your book, get in your bunk and read. First three days physically hurt, it gets easier after that. Three weeks you'll be human again. Three months you'll be bragging and folks that care will be proud of you. Three years you'll still be patting your pocket after dinner, go stick a five dollar bill in the jar.
Good luck,
Don
Good plan. Dan.

Good luck,
Don
Good words of wisdom. I'll download a few new books for the iPad. I can't read books very easily with the awful light in this house.

That's a big assumption, that I ever acted human in the first place... lol

Not sure why I started down this road; .22-250 vs .223; 257 roberts vs 25/06; 275 Rigby vs a 7-08; 300 HH vs 300 win or bee. But I’m enjoying it. The .22-250 I’ve had since about 1980, the 375HH for at least 25 years. I’ve traded a number of them in-between for one reason or another but I’m set now.
I do love the classics. I really want a .222. 7x57 is cool, .275 Rigby is the coolest! I already have a donor for a .404 build. I don't have any good excuse for reaching the age of 55 without somehow acquiring an M70 .375 H&H. .250 Savage, .257 Bob, .32 Winchester Special...

I do love the classics. I really want a .222. 7x57 is cool, .275 Rigby is the coolest! I already have a donor for a .404 build. I don't have any good excuse for reaching the age of 55 without somehow acquiring an M70 .375 H&H. .250 Savage, .257 Bob, .32 Winchester Special...
Get it done!

Well, day four is done. I found myself reflexively looking for a can a couple of times today, but no serious cravings yet. Funny, the worst (and it wasn't even close to being bad) time was when I was getting out of my van to set up my survey gear.

Well, day four is done. I found myself reflexively looking for a can a couple of times today, but no serious cravings yet. Funny, the worst (and it wasn't even close to being bad) time was when I was getting out of my van to set up my survey gear.
Hang in there! When the cravings hit tell yourself, "If I can go four days, I can go the next hour." Then, when the hour is up tell yourself, "If I could make through the last hour, I can go the rest of the day." Repeat each day as needed.

I went through a similar "stop smoking plan". I found a rifle I wanted but I didn't have enough cash on hand to buy it. So, I thought, if I can go three days without a smoke, I will go to the bank and take out a personal loan, buy the rifle, and then use my cigarette money to pay the loan off. Since I really wanted the rifle, I was able to go the three days. Knowing I had a loan payment coming up, I was able NOT buy cigarettes and NOT to smoke. By the time the loan was paid off, I had kicked the habit. Over time I found out I could support my shooting habit completely with what it cost to smoke.

Good luck and best wishes.

Back