new hunting clothing ..

Kodiak

Handloader
Oct 4, 2006
As hunting season is fast upon some of us, has any one got any new stuff; boots, camo clothes, rain gear, gloves that the rest of us might be considering.

I got the Kenetrek catalog recently, and it has some neat boots in it.

Jim, I LOVE Kenetreks. I have a pair of the Mountain Hunter Extreme's and next to my Asolo 520's, they are the best boot I have found for mountain hunting. Very waterproof and able to be laced very tightly to withstand twists and turns in the rocks with weight on my back. They can be found at Sierra Trading Post and Camofire for about 1/2 what they cost regularly. I really like them if it is going to be snowing or wet.

As for clothes, nothing new hear, other than I would like to add a lighter set of wool pants and also a wool parka/jacket of some sort to my hunting gear. Seems like wool is about as good as it gets for hard use hunting in all conditions, with any kind of decent under garments.

Any kinda gear your looking at in particular?

I need a vest .I'd prefer camo , so it could be worn on top . something that is not puffy . some days , while archery hunting , I need a little more warmth without making my arm and chest fatter .

jimbires, I picked up a fleece vest in outfitter camo from cabelas last year, one of their alaskan guide system garments. the fleece is very soft and warm, it has the windshear liner in it which i really like in lighter garments, it doesn't add much weight but makes the garment feel twice as warm as it should be. The vest scrunches down really well for stuffing in a pack too. I'm 6' 180 lbs and the large was a little roomy, gave it to my brother and bought the medium, fits close and cozy without binding anywhere, doesn't interfere with with my bow shooting at all. I agree kenetrek boots are great, recommend you buy them well in advance as a very stiff soled boot can take some getting used to, I called them last year about their desert guide boots and the lady I spoke with said to expect to go 25-30 miles in them before they were really broken in...

Last year I bought bought a Frog Tog rain suit and it is as I call it police officer green. I took it to the DNR office and had them look at to see if I could use it as a color acceptable for hunting and 1 of the game wardens advised me that it would not be acceptable and I would be given a ticket if stopped. I was about to say something when the director came out of his office and looked at the jacket and stated in front of everyone. Bud if you get shot while wearing that it was not accident :shock:. He went on to say that if I ever received a ticket for that and went to court it would be thrown out in a heartbeat. My hunting Buddy then piped up they would likely throw me out as well for wearing someone so bright and ugly :lol:
This year while fishing I received a phone call from my brother-in-law and he asked if it was me across the lake or was he looking at a bouy :roll:

Blessings,
Dan

When I find something that works for me, I take care of it like its gold. You have all heard my rants about changing scopes, well I feel the same about gear. If it works for you, stay with it. I had my last backpack for over twenty years, had to buy a new one 6 years ago and am still not quite sure about the new one.

sask boy
This year while fishing I received a phone call from my brother-in-law and he asked if it was me across the lake or was he looking at a bouy
This sounds veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy interesting. A walking, moving bouy! Can you post a picture?

Jim B,

Check out camofire.com....I've gotten stuff EXACTLY like what you're looking for on there for not a lot of money. Just have to keep an eye on the site till you see what you want.

I have been pretty lucky on close outs in clothing. Having shrunk now to 5'-9'' and 150 pounds, I have great luck with closeout sizes that fit me. Since I wear a MM in jackets and coveralls, I can always find what I want in store closures. Plus the stuff does not wear out anytime soon.

I just ordered a pair of Kenetreks from Amazon, they had a 20% off deal and I had a 25 dollar gift card that brought my total to 280 dollars, pretty good deal for me considering they are about 400 bucks everywhere.

remmy1187":wp5ltchn said:
I just ordered a pair of Kenetreks from Amazon, they had a 20% off deal and I had a 25 dollar gift card that brought my total to 280 dollars, pretty good deal for me considering they are about 400 bucks everywhere.

Very good deal. What pair did you get.

I ordered the Mountain Extreme NI. I just broke my ankle in two places and had to have a plate and 9 screws to fix it so I wanted a pair of boots with a lot of support, mostly when I head back out west for elk. Ordered them based off of the excellent reviews I have read, and I hope they live up to it.

There's Terrane's on Camofire right now, with a set of gaiters, for $234. Jim B, there's also a Badlands vest on there now, too.

I bought a new set of kuiu camo last season. It is the most comfortable camo system that I've ever had, it feels like pajamas! I highly recommend it, it even held up well to all the spined desert scrub I have to fight through.

Jim, that's the bummer to that site, it's not always easy to get things there, but they do get some decent stuff. I upgraded a lot of clothing this past winter for cheap from them. Only problem is, I lost over 60lbs and a lot of it won't fit now! Oops!

Back