NEW Leupold VX R

I'm thinking the 3-9x40 VX-R with the CDS would make a great all around big game scope.
What I don't like is the true magnification is 3.3x - 8.6x, they are kind of low balling the 3-9x claim.

WYcoyote":3kdsdfre said:
I'm thinking the 3-9x40 VX-R with the CDS would make a great all around big game scope.
What I don't like is the true magnification is 3.3x - 8.6x, they are kind of low balling the 3-9x claim.

If you look at other makes and models, it will be the same.

JD338

Almost impossible for the eye to resolve the difference. No one makes a true 3-9, or in the case of my Z6 Swarovski a true 1.7-10.

DrMike":96l7w84o said:

Almost impossible for the eye to resolve the difference. No one makes a true 3-9, or in the case of my Z6 Swarovski a true 1.7-10.

Probably right, at least they fess up to it, most other makers don't.
My main point was the 3-9x40 VX-R with CDS would be mighty handy on my elk rifle.
Have a 3-9 Burris Signature Electro-dot on it now and it's not bad, but it would be nice to dial up the longer shots.

I saw a 3-9 today, and I have a hard time getting used to a 30mm tube. Just looks bloated.

Although I guess I'll have to get used to it... I'm putting a 30mm VX3 on my new 7WSM.

DrMike":v0wr0y1z said:
BK,

I love my 30 mm tubes. They do grow on you.

I concur. The 30mm seems brighter to my eyes.

JD338

Yeah, I suppose so. But in a case full of 1" tubes, it just looked like a snake that just ate. But performance is what it all boils down to, and from what I understand, the 30mm tubes have quite a bit more adjustment in them (Ie, lots of clicks for shooting at steel a loooooooong way off).

Do 30mm tubes really gather anymore light then a 1" though, really??

I thought main purpose of 30mm was strength, and moreover to have more internal MOAs for dialing longer ranges then 1" scopes usually have to offer.

I like my vx3 LR 6.5-20x50 30mm tube, but I think I am selling it so I can buy (2) Vortex Vipers in the 6.5-20x44 with BDC reticles for my 243 and 264. On sporter rifles, they do look kinda funny, just seems like theres so much scope there that you dont need, and there a little heavier and bulkier. Anymore Id just rather have them on a bench gun or a strictly LR rifle, but I can deal with it if I have to on my sporters. I will say its an extremely clear and bright optic, I can put spikes on elk at 1000 yards at the beginning or end of shooting hours, this makes it extrememly nice, becuase I dont have to pack a spotting scope around.

I was also thinking real hard about the Leupold Mark AR 6-18x w/mildots. 1" tube, little less weight and bulkyness to go on a win/rem sporter rifle, just look a little more at home I guess. However I got 30mm scope level and cosine indicator, so I kinda need at least 1 good 30mm scope so I can put those accessories to use so there not sitting around collecting dust.

Lemme know if you decide to sell the 6.5-20. I've kind of been thinking about putting that scope on my Ruger Varmint Rifle in .220 Swift.

Back