New Mexico Draw results.... Score!!

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
I received the email this morning.

I drew a Unit 45 Bull tag for the Oct 10-14th Muzzleloader season. The rut will still be on and the bulls will be bugling. Archery tactics with a muzzleloader.

I am so pumped right now. This unit includes the Pecos Wilderness area so that means to trucks or 4 wheelers. Walk in access only. I plan on hiking a few mile in and setting up camp.

I am a little bummed the 338 won't be hunting this year.. but I am not complaining.

Time to dust off the TC prohunter and get practising.

Pat,

Congrats on the NM bull tag. That will be an exciting hunt for sure.

JD338

Outstanding !
I look forward to reading about your experience.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

We drew a big zero on our New Mexico deer hunt. Looks like we might push up our Washington bear hunt by a year.

Oldtrader3":hokvduqx said:
Nice Pat, kill a big one! What is wrong with the .338?

Thanks everyone.

Charlie nothing is wrong with the Alaskan. I just won't be using it this year thats all. I only drew a muzzleloader tag, no rifle.

Pat,

You will absolutely love hunting that area. Remember when I was telling you about us hunting New Mexico a lot when we lived in El Paso, this was one of our favorite areas. Also dont forget to check out the reservations, sometimes we were able to get a cow hunt on the cheap. Just get on their mailing lists and something will turn up for you. They have very nice RV sites so you can take your RV.

But, right now--congratulations Pat, it just doesnt get much better than that, a nice welcome to New Mexico

Man, I am pretty jealous Pat! A BULL with a smokepole during the RUT!.. That would make Jeremiah Johnson smile from above!

Sean, I'd love to come out for one of those cow hunts sometime.. Fun way to fill a freezer or two..

Congrats on the draw tag , hopefully you can get onto the bulls. From your scouting posts you should be in the thick of them in no time.
Different areas mean different game laws I know , but is there really no general season for deer or bear in NM . I find it puzzling in a way to say the 338 will be collecting dust. I'm used to having a fair number of oppurtunitys and either short on time or money or both . Lol
OTC archery tags for Elk and Muledeer, OTC general tags for WT deer. They just changed moose as there was an OTC archery tag in some zones no more though.
I would figure NM would have Mule deer fairly abundant, anyways I was just pondering . Good luck with the tag.

Yes there is a general season for Bear, and you can buy a private land OTC tag for deer. Due to baby #4 coming in early August, I am going "all in" for the elk hunt and don't see myself hitting the field for much anything else.

All my free time will be spent scouting the wilderness area any chance I get.

I can buy the bear tag over the counter and in effect hunt both elk and bear during the 5 day hunt, which I probably will do, and it only costs 40 bucks. But the muzzleloader will be the implement I carry.

I do have a standing invitation to hunt Oryx on a private ranch on the Texas/NM boarder. Every year a few Oryx cross the border and as soon as they step foot in Texas they are fair game. A business colleague of mine has a pretty sizable ranch ( 17 mile "driveway") and he has offered me the chance to come down when the Oryx are spotted among the cattle. That hunt is all 338 baby! Best part about it is the pricetage. I only would have to buy a non resident 3 tag license. I believe it is under 100 bucks.

Back