New Mounts on the '06

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
If you've been following along at home, I mounted a Minox Z3 3-9x40 on my ADL-SS .30-06 in Talley Lightweight lows. I thought all was well and good, until I took it to the range, and discovered that I didn't get it far enough forward. A bit problematic, since I already had a slight interference between the power adjustment ring and the mount.

DSC_5746.jpg

So I was at one of the local gun pusher's and decided to see what they had as far as Picatinny rails. So I ended up buying a UTG steel one piece rail and Leupold Rifleman medium rings.

DSC_6571.jpg

Total cost was right around $35. There was a very slight front-to-back mis-alignment in the mounting holes; we'll see if that causes any problems down the line.

DSC_6564.jpg

DSC_6574.jpg

So now I have a little better clearance with the eyepiece, and I think I managed to get the thing far enough forward that I won't be fighting the scope so much from the bench.

DSC_6567.jpg

DSC_6573.jpg

Final (for now) thought: this seems like a pretty good way of mounting scopes when you are a genetic freak and are a horrible stock crawler. The steel base is a heavy sucker, and I am curious if an aluminum rail would be tough enough. If I locate an aluminum rail down the road, this one may end up on a yet-to-be-purchased Remington R5 .300 WinMag HB precision rifle.

Obligatory pic of the stuff I had to pull out of my safe to get to my Savage 99.

DSC_6579.jpg

I have gone to pretty much all rails on my rifles. I still have some Leupold and Warne 2 piece stuff, but from here on out, the rail will be mounted on anything new. Just like you said Kurt, it really allows the scope to be mounted where you need it, not where the rings restrict you to. Check out the Leupold PRW/QRW rings. Very tough and mount nicely to the rails.

Rifle looks great. Hope that rail works for you.

Guy, those Seekins look pretty nice as well. Do you buy direct from them or a distributor? Scotty

Guy Miner":lxjs0l9y said:
Aluminum picatinny bases are actually pretty tough. Have used them on some magnum caliber rifles with no problems. I'd highly recommend the bases by Seekins Precision of Idaho.

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/

Regards, Guy

Looks like their HQ is about two blocks from where my cousins used to live. Small world.

Glen Seekins is a great guy - launched his business at home some years ago with a dream... Now he's cranking out gun parts like crazy on his CNC machines. I remember talking to him about it all before he got going. He's made quite a success of it!

I order straight from his outfit. But it's been a while since I got anything from Glen, things may have changed. Who knows? I don't remember which vendors handle his products.

Guy

Thanks for the heads up Guy. A good word about a feller goes a long way for me. I am going to look into his gear for the future. Scotty

Guy (or maybe somebody else might know) Seekins lists a 'Hunter' model of their Picatinny base. Do you know what makes a 'Hunter' base different that the normal Seekins base?

Could be, but the Seekins website doesn't have a description or pictures, and the retailer sites just use the same picture for every different application.

CC, I haven't had any problems yet, though I have to admit that I haven't fired it in anger or simulated anger, and a little adrenaline can change things a whole bunch.

Well, here's the answer from Seekins:

Kurt the difference is that the hunter base has half of the standard rail cut out over the action port so you have greater access to the chamber/cartridge. By doing this it also means there are only 3 picatinny slots in the front and two in the rear, also it is a dedicated right hand 0moa base where the standard rail is either right or left and a variety of MOA. If there is anything else I can do just let me know.

Thank you,

Shiloah Mattoon
Seekins Precision

Back