New non-sabot ML bullet

TScottW99

Thats pretty cool. Thanks for posting this.

JD338

Definitely glad to hear this as another Colorado hunter. Have been using the PowerBelts with good accuracy. My dad and friend had trouble knocking deer down with them this season. They made good hits but believe the bullets did not expand well and acted more like a FMJ. The last mule deer I shot with them kind of just looked like he walked off. I thought how could I have missed until I got over to where he was standing at the shot and I found blood and bone chips. The deer went well over 200 yards with a vital hit. I will definitely give the Hornady a shot (literally).

YoteSmoker":l9zv9ttm said:
Definitely glad to hear this as another Colorado hunter. Have been using the PowerBelts with good accuracy. My dad and friend had trouble knocking deer down with them this season. They made good hits but believe the bullets did not expand well and acted more like a FMJ. The last mule deer I shot with them kind of just looked like he walked off. I thought how could I have missed until I got over to where he was standing at the shot and I found blood and bone chips. The deer went well over 200 yards with a vital hit. I will definitely give the Hornady a shot (literally).

Wow! That's the first complaint I've heard about Powerbelts not expanding. Usually its complaints that they are too soft and blow up when they hit bone. Where did you shoot your mulie and how far away was it?

Dang, checked Sportsman here in Roanoke, VA the other day and they still do not have them. Hoping they get them soon so I can add it to my list of bullets to try this year.

Thanks for the heads up Antelope Sniper. I told my uncle in PA about them this weekend and he said he's gonna screw his encore barrel back on just to try them out for the high b.c. and velocities they show on that video. Glad to hear they are on the shelves here already. Any idea on price and how many come in a package?

I knew that they had come out but could not find any here yet....Now I got something else to play with this summer......GOODY GOODY GUMDROP! :lol:

Antelope_Sniper- Carey at Sportsmans told me yesterday that he doesn't expect to get them until June. I might have to try Midway or something in the mean time.

YoteSmoker":3822894v said:
Definitely glad to hear this as another Colorado hunter.

I'm going to try theses bullets as well this year. I'm upgrading my H&R rifle with the ML barrel 1:26 twist. I'm trying my hand at a ML Elk for the first time. I've been using patched round ball for years out of my old ML with good success when I got in range of a deer. I'm hoping that I can extend my max range from about 80 yards to 150+ by going with a more modern ML set up. Was considering Power Belts as well until Hornady announced this bullet.

JDMAG":wj1d5qc3 said:
Thats good to hear! Any ideas on how it will perform on elk?

I think a 350 grain bullet would perform great on an Elk but unfortunatly, the bullet is too long to be legal in Colorado. A .50 cal bullet can not be longer than 1". So guess I'm back to the drawing board.

Just snip the tip that might just make it legal. So now you have a flat or hollow point bullet.

Taylor- I was dissapointed after emailing hornady to find out where I could get these bullets a couple weeks ago. Couldn't even find them at Midway or Graf's. The sales rep at Hornady told me that they were just starting to send them out to the distributors to sell to the dealers and should be showing up in stores anytime. Well, most states have muzzleloader seasons later in the fall and winter and this may be fine for some. However with our season starting 1 month 1 day and a matter of minutes :) I resorted to using bullets I had on hand. I shoot an Encore with 1:28 twist, Here is the load I will be using and my range results. Hope this works as good for you as it did me.

348 grain aerotip powerbelt, 110 grains loose tripple 7, winchester 209

2.5" high at 50, perfect left and right
Perfectly centered at 100 but 1.5" to the right
My group size is exactly 1" WOW!! Really impressed with open sights

As soon as I got home from work this morning, I loaded up 2 speed loaders. Done deal! I am anxious to get back to the mountains. Sept 13th is quickly approaching!

Back