New Project... 280 AI

BP736

Beginner
Oct 7, 2008
I am in the process of a new rifle. I have been planning to build a 280 AI for a while. I bought a stainless model 700 ADL a year or so ago to build on, but it keeps getting put on the back burner. It just got moved to the front burner. My wife surprised me with a Shilen barrel for Christmas. It is a 26" stainless #3 contour with a 1:9 twist. After the gunsmith work, I hope it will be about 25"ish. The action will be blue printed. It probably have a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock under it and a Century edition 3-9x40 Leupold on top. I plan to shoot 140 gr. Accubonds at around 3200 fps. I hope to have it done in the next month or so. Any info or experience related to a 280 AI would be welcomed. Pics and range reports to follow...
BP

BP736
Sounds to me like you married an angel :!: :grin: :grin: A new barrel for a rifle build, oh my! I love the .280 Remington, but have never messed with the 280 AI, but everyone here says it's a winner, but then how could it not be? Good luck.

BP736,

Sounds as if your wife understands the hopes and desires of a gun crank. You found a gem in her. You for sure will want to keep her.

Man, that is awesome! wife got you a barrel! Awesome. There are a few 280AI shooters here, so it shouldn't take much to get you up and shooting! Good luck, looking forward to pictures and range results. Scotty

I built one, and love it. Its not the fastest thing in the world, but shoots tiny groups, and is a great light packing deer, blackbear, and light elk gun. Mine likes RL-22 with the 140 & 160 ABs

BP736

You have an awesome bride!
You are going to love the 280 AI. I have a M700 blueprinted with a Hart 24" #5 fluted barrel, Tubb recoil lug,pillar bedded in a LSS stock. Mine is throated long, allowing for more case capacity.
IMG_0315.jpg

Accuracy is excellent!
160 gr AB
280AI.jpg

150 gr E-Tip
280AI150grE-Tip300.jpg

140 gr AB
280AI140grAB.jpg

140 gr BT
280AI140grBT210.jpg

120 gr BT
280AI120grBT.jpg

RL 22 is a great choice with 140 gr and 160 gr bullets.

Let us know what more we can do to help.

JD338

100_3307.jpg

420 yards with a 160 AB through the heart and out the neck. Before My wife bought me the new stock.
100_3333.jpg

Same gun with my 26th birthday present on it!

Sorry, I didn't get to finish, I had to go show a guy where to put the new livestock well. Mine has a 24" #4 fluted Pac Nor 3 groove. Shoots great, but I didn't throat mine as long as JD338 did, and can't get the speeds that he can. I'm about 1.5 gr less case capacity. If you have a longer mag than I did, make your COAL as long as you can and still have the neck gripping the shank of the bullet good. I kind of wish I would have gone with a 25" just to make up some of that difference, but I was tring to keep the weight down. Finished ready to hunt she weighs 8.25 lbs.

You'll love it.

Congrats on picking a great wife as well :wink: Having one that tolerates these kinds of things makes life alot easier.

Great pictures Jake and that rifle looks great. I imagine the elk never knew there was a difference! That stock and fluted barrel look really sharp! Scotty

Thanks Scotty. Hoping to get the action Cerakoated black this winter then she'll be done. Except for the scope, its getting a new mil dot I think.

You guys are right... my wife rocks! She is not into guns or hunting AT ALL, but knows that it is a big part of who I am and supports me in it. Now I have a question. JD338, you mentioned that yours was "throated long". How long is long? Can you give me a measurement that I can give my gunsmith? I would like to get all the velocity out of mine that I can, and if this would help... I'm all for it. This is my first custom build and I have a lot to learn. My gunsmith is going to let me help where I can and teach me what he is doing. What velocity are you getting from the 140 ABs? I envision this as being my deer/antelope rifle and plan to use something in the 140 range. Don't see myself using it for elk, etc but you never know.
thanks,
BP

I made a dummy round that fit my mag how I wanted and sent it to Pacnor asking them to cut the throat so that the dummy round just touched the lands. My Coal now is 3.345" and I'm about .010" offf the lands.

BP736

Don't be afraid to use that little old .280 whether a AI or plain Jane on an elk. I've taken several with a 280 Remington and 140 gr. Nosler Partitions, and my biggest elk to boot!

BP736

My 280 AI COL is 3.513" to the lands when loaded with the 160 gr AB.

JD338

6mm,
Definately not afraid to use the 280 Rem. or AI for elk. I just have bigger options (300 Wby, 338 WM). I have a Ruger No.1 280 Rem as well. The 280 is probably my favorite caliber, but others in the safe might be better suited for elk.
BP

BP736":fzb7s45c said:
6mm,
Definately not afraid to use the 280 Rem. or AI for elk. I just have bigger options (300 Wby, 338 WM). I have a Ruger No.1 280 Rem as well. The 280 is probably my favorite caliber, but others in the safe might be better suited for elk.
BP

Just what I like to see, another Ruger #1 FAN! :grin:

BP736

As for velocity, I get 3019 fps with the 160 gr AB. I have clocked 3240 fps with the 140 gr AB but backed it down to 3150 fps. This is with a 24" barrel. You should be able to do this or a little more with a 25" barrel and long throat.

JD338

JD338 is getting the same velocity with 140's that I got from a 24" 7mm Rem mag, and not far off from the velocity I was seeing from the 160's out of the 7mm mag. Impressive!

vodekz":3rsic68a said:
BP736

Can you tell me what bushing size do you use for neck sizing?

Thank you

I am using standard Redding dies for the 280 Remington AI 40* shoulder.

JD338

Back