new rifle, .338 RUM or .375 RUM ?

YZEATER

Beginner
Nov 1, 2006
looking to get a new gun, in a bigger caliber then i already have. i have a couple .30 cal magnums, which is my largest caliber. want something bigger, don't really need it. i only hunt whitetails and sometimes bears here in pennsylvania. maybe someday go out west for elk, but nothing the .30's can't do. sooo, should i go with the .338 rum or .375 rum. the rifle would be a Remington XCR. i would like a wood stocked rifle as i have a bunch or sythetics already, but they don't come in the bigger calibers. i reload so cost isn't a big issue between either. neither will be as expensive as my .30-378 weath. , so i'm not worried about that.

i need opinions. doesn't have to be a remington. i will use it for deer, using lighter bullets if i get the .375 . not worried about recoil. might as well go big right. .375 is the limit tho.

this could/ probably be used as a longer range rifle to say 600yds. ballistics for me, are close enough to make it a hard decision also.

For longer ranges, there are more good, high BC, choices for the .338 bore than the .375 at this point. I know quite a few guys who are "long range" hunters and while none use a .375, several use various .338's.

At more normal ranges, heck either one is going to be a game-slamming beast of a cartridge!

I was surprised to see that even Remington's good old 700 BDL wasn't offered in the .338 & .375 Ultra Mags at this point. The good news is that there are all kinds of great aftermarket stocks, laminated or nice walnut or even maple, avail to pop a Rem 700 action into.

The Rem Ultra Mags are great cartridges, just not all that popular because of the recoil, so factory rifles chambered for them are not common. I'm thinking that you might have to stock this one yourself or go the Custom Shop route if you want a wood-stocked .338 or .375 Rem Ultra mag. A Remington Custom Shop rifle would be a thing to treasure...

Regards, Guy

also the .375 comes with a 24" barrel where the .338 has a 26" barrel. i would love to have one in blued, wood stocked, buit like you said they don't make it without costing an arm and a leg.

i won't be relying on this one for all my long range shooting, but it has to be able to handle some range.

YZEATER

The 338 and 375 RUMs are awesome calibers.
Since you are not needing a DGR, I would suggest the 338 RUM.
There is a larger selection of bullets in 338 cal, 160 gr to 300 gr so your possibilities are vast. The 225 gr AB will give you a decent BC out well past 600 yds. If Nosler will offer a 250 gr AB, the 338 RUM will become a 1000 yd hammer!
Accuracy is excellent. My 338 RUM is in a 700 LSS. With 200 gr BT/AB, 210 gr PT, 225 gr PT and 250 gr PT, I get sub .5 MOA. The 225 gr AB is .6 MOA. :grin:

Go with the 338 RUM, I have a lot of good load data I will offer you to help get you started.

JD338

i appreciate your info. the .338 may suit my needs a little better, the reason for the .375 was just because i don't have one, and my buddy has a .375 H&H. i will be giving this alot more thought. thanks.

I shoot an older 338 RUM Sendero. Its awesome for long range. I shoot 300 grain Sierra Matchkings @ 2700 FPS (come on nosler make some 300 grainers). It'll shoot 1000 yards and still have enough wallup to kill an elk. Its alot of gun though. I had to add a muzzle break and a sissy pad to tame the recoil. I am still going to add some mercury recoil reducers too. I want it to shoot like a BB gun.

Bigcat_hunter":k4zapu9o said:
I shoot an older 338 RUM Sendero. Its awesome for long range. I shoot 300 grain Sierra Matchkings @ 2700 FPS (come on nosler make some 300 grainers). It'll shoot 1000 yards and still have enough wallup to kill an elk. Its alot of gun though. I had to add a muzzle break and a sissy pad to tame the recoil. I am still going to add some mercury recoil reducers too. I want it to shoot like a BB gun.

You would have to turn in into a 60 lb rail gun. :grin:

JD338

My 700 LSS 338 RUM with a VXIII 2.5x8 and M1 dials scope weghs 8lb 13 oz. I added a Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad and recoil isn't that bad, even from prone. When you shoot at game, you don't even notice it.

JD338

JD338":1nbf282w said:
My 700 LSS 338 RUM with a VXIII 2.5x8 and M1 dials scope weghs 8lb 13 oz. I added a Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad and recoil isn't that bad, even from prone. When you shoot at game, you don't even notice it.

JD338

Try shooting a 300 grain bullet! You wont believe the recoil. I have a nice cut above my eye brow to attest to it! But with a break and pad the recoil is reduced to that of about a 30-06.

Bigcat_hunter":1ecgbqoi said:
JD338":1ecgbqoi said:

JD338

Try shooting a 300 grain bullet! You wont believe the recoil. I have a nice cut above my eye brow to attest to it! But with a break and pad the recoil is reduced to that of about a 30-06.

What load are you shooting?

JD338

I worked on my buddy's 375 Ultra. It is a BDL 700 26" barrel.

With 7828 it launches 270 TSX's at 2995 and about 1/2" at 100 yds.

JD338":2hco6z5z said:
Bigcat_hunter":2hco6z5z said:
JD338":2hco6z5z said:

JD338

JD338
92 grains of H1000 and federal match magnum primers

Bigcat_hunter":36pz0msl said:
JD338":36pz0msl said:
Bigcat_hunter":36pz0msl said:
JD338":36pz0msl said:

JD338

JD338
92 grains of H1000 and federal match magnum primers

Thanks Buddy! I'll have to give it a try, just for grins.

JD338

My .375RUM LSS 26" barrel shoots 260 gr. Accubonds at 3080fps and groups sub-moa. It's my primary elk rifle. I also have the 338 RUM XCR as my back up elk rifle that shoots the same with 225gr. Accubonds. There's not a lot of difference in recoil when you get to that level but man what they do to an elk. I'd give up the 338 RUM before the 375RUM. (sorry JD338) It'll dump an elk from any angle at any range I can hit em (if I put the bullet in a reasonable spot) 3 hunts 3 elk.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

YZEATER...............Sounds like you wish to add to the collection. Yep! A new toy! It certainly is difficult, NOT to add something sooner or later. Temptations are abound!........Realistically, since you are not going to Africa to hunt there, a 375, unless you really feel you need one for ego purposes, is certainly not needed for big elk or smaller game!......Your 30 cal. magnums will do that job with less weight & less recoil. Your 30`s will also do anything on all N/A game that a .338 will.......Between the two however, if given a choice & based on your hunting agenda, I would go with the .338 cal..........Between these three, 338 Win., RUM, or the 340 WBY., it`s just a matter of personal preference!

yup, just becase i don't have anything bigger then .30 cal is the reason for this one. i'm pretty sure i'm going to get a .338 RUM. just gotta sell a rifle and i'll begin my search for the rifle in that caliber, unless a nice one in .375 pops up.

Back