New rifle build, 264 Win Mag

Man, you're going to have a blast with that. Just cause it's a 264 doesn't take it right out of the mountain rifle category in my brain. Mine has a 26" barrel and scoot's a 140 AccuBond just over 3200. I'd be entirely comfortable lopping 2" off the barrel and giving up the 50-75FPS to gain a little handiness and cut a little weight. Mind your contour and you could come in plenty light enough to carry for miles.

For barrels, I like cut rifling mostly. With Krieger, Hawk Hill, Bartlein, etc.. I also have a Benchmark button barrel that I got since I had so many buddies having great results with. Myself, a 2 contour with a 1-7 1/2" to 8 would be perfect. Keep the shank real light, almost a Featherweight sorta cut to minimize extra weight as well.

That's a great stock and the Defiance looks wicked.

My beloved 25o Savage was once "in the white", bead blasted with a walnut stock. I regret having it blued. Your rifle looks sharp! CL

Looking great. You are going to love that cartridge. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Dan

Going to try and decide on the barrel today, right now I am between the Lilja or a McGowen. Talked to both of them this week and they can build a prefit to the AnTi action, McGowen could deliver maybe a week or 2 sooner and 30% less cost, but...still thinking about the Lilja

Going to try and decide on the barrel today, right now I am between the Lilja or a McGowen. Talked to both of them this week and they can build a prefit to the AnTi action, McGowen could deliver maybe a week or 2 sooner and 30% less cost, but...still thinking about the Lilja
Have you also looked at Preferred Barrel Blanks? They can build a prefit for the AnTi as well.
I have one on my fast twist 25-06 and it's lights out. They can do expedited 3 weeks for extra cash too.

Of your choices, I'd go Lilja though. I've never used them personally but my gunsmith uncle swears by em

Have you also looked at Preferred Barrel Blanks? They can build a prefit for the AnTi as well.
I have one on my fast twist 25-06 and it's lights out. They can do expedited 3 weeks for extra cash too.

Of your choices, I'd go Lilja though. I've never used them personally but my gunsmith uncle swears by em
Yes I was looking at them too, don't recall why I stopped.

Wouldn't you know it, the day after i finally get around to ordering my 264wm barrel, i go to the LGS and they have a new Winchester 264 with the maple stock on the shelf. Such a beautiful rifle I've wanted one in a 264 for a very long time. Sigh... it will have to wait.
So for the barrel i ended up going with a Mcgowen Remington contour treaded 25", couldn't decide between 24 or 26, going to hold off on the brake until I shoot it but it will threaded anyway.
I went with the McGowen because I was happy wih the 6br pistol barrel i just got and how it shoots. It was also the least expensive i was looking at, but wanted to shoot the bolt pistol before i made up my mind.
Now i have +/- 12 weeks to decide on a scope

Wouldn't you know it, the day after i finally get around to ordering my 264wm barrel, i go to the LGS and they have a new Winchester 264 with the maple stock on the shelf. Such a beautiful rifle I've wanted one in a 264 for a very long time. Sigh... it will have to wait.
So for the barrel i ended up going with a Mcgowen Remington contour treaded 25", couldn't decide between 24 or 26, going to hold off on the brake until I shoot it but it will threaded anyway.
I went with the McGowen because I was happy wih the 6br pistol barrel i just got and how it shoots. It was also the least expensive i was looking at, but wanted to shoot the bolt pistol before i made up my mind.
Now i have +/- 12 weeks to decide on a scope
I'd have one of those maple m70s by now if they would bring back their lefty m70 action in it. Probably in 264 win mag as well.

What twist rate did you get for your new barrel?

Back