New Rifle Stocks

WHELENATOR

Beginner
Nov 4, 2004
Fellers, I have my Classic 700 7 Wby in to the doctor's office getting a few things done. it is getting a flute job, and action squaring and trigger job. What I am looking for is some suggestions for a new stock to lighten it up a bit. Right now it is stocked with an HS Precision, and it's just too dang heavy for me to pack around. Now, before you guys suggest one of those $1,000 ultra light custom jobbies, fuggedaboutit. I can't afford that kind of stock, and couldn't get it past my CFO anyway. Can you fellers give me several suggestions or what your using? Dropins are fine, Bell and Carlson, etc. I know McMillan makes some nice stocks, although I personally think them and the B&C's are ugly. No offense meant to anyone. But the ones I have seen ain't too pretty. They look too roughly textured to me. Anyway, please give me some suggestions. Thanks.

Check with HS Precision, they have several different styles available and they are not too expensive.

JD338

You said you dont like McMillan's, but the their Edge is very light weight and doesnt have any texture I believe. It has the normal Palm swell & fore-end checkering but that is about it. Going price for a LA 700 is about $600 and a 5 or 6 month wait.

Link: http://www.mcmfamily.com/stocks.html

The Bell & Carlson "Carbelite" is also a nice stock for about half the price of a Mc Millan. A little heavier (few ounces) but overall a good value.

Or, you can look around for a LA take-off from one of the Remmy Titanium rifles and open up the channel for your magnum contour. Those are running around $150-$200 used. They do not have a floorplate (like a ADL) and are not the stiffest, but overall pretty good.

Other then that,I do not know of many and only have first hand experience with these ones.

Good luck, sounds like it will be a beauty when she gets done :)

Tim

I get mine here,WWW.StockysStocks.com. The price is right and you can't beat the quality. Check out the KS mountain rifle stocks. I bought one in Black Web that's going on my 280 AI. I think it only weighs 25 oz.
You will not be disappointed.

6ppcar, thanks for thsat link. This place looks to have good pricing. Have you dealt with them very much?

WHELENATOR":1618imee said:
6ppcar, thanks for thsat link. This place looks to have good pricing. Have you dealt with them very much?
Yes , very good to deal with. Fast Shipping.

Try these guys. I had a stock made for my 30.06. Good price, good service, good stock. Good Luck! :)

http://rifle-stocks.com/

Picture007.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Guys, thanks for all the replies. It's looking like the B&C one from the Remington lightweight rifles...in stock at Stocky's for $249.95. that's pretty darn good. I have a AWR 375 H&H, and I think it might have one of these stocks on it, not sure. I thought it might be a McMillan also, but I am not sure. Does anyone know what remington put on those back about 3 or 4 years back?

WHELENATOR":2k1yipk6 said:
Guys, thanks for all the replies. It's looking like the B&C one from the Remington lightweight rifles...in stock at Stocky's for $249.95. that's pretty darn good. I have a AWR 375 H&H, and I think it might have one of these stocks on it, not sure. I thought it might be a McMillan also, but I am not sure. Does anyone know what remington put on those back about 3 or 4 years back?
I think you are right, the AWR is the McMillan stock. The Sendero used HS Precision.

JD338

JD338":1abzesyb said:
WHELENATOR":1abzesyb said:
I think you are right, the AWR is the McMillan stock. The Sendero used HS Precision.

JD338
Yeah, that sounds right. I need to clean it really good before heading down to Montana, so I'll take the stock off it and look under there for a brand...

WHELENATOR,

If the work has not started on the 700 yet consider moving it on and just buying a complete rifle.

It seems that money and the rifle weight are most important to you right now?

Just buy a Kimber Montana. It will come with a state of the art stock that and the entire rifle, in a WSM, will weigh less than a 700. The Kimber Montana weighs 6.1 lbs!

Back