New scope for 270 wsm $1000 to spend

dezmick

Beginner
Mar 5, 2011
I am going to be getting a new 270 wsm for deer hunting, and will have about $1000.00 to spend on a new scope, any suggestions on what I should get, I do not have a brand preference so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

With that kind of budget you can get yourself a good scope. A Leupold Zeiss or maybe a Z3 Swarovski. It all depends on what you want too. I think you can get a VX-3 4-5-14X50 with CDS dials for that but you have a lot of options with quality glass. Just make sure you go with a brand that offers a good warranty. If you want more help give us some more info and I'm sure the guys will throw in their opinions.

Wow so many choices.......... I'm really partial to Leupold so I just have to throw that out there. For that rifle that might very well be used up close and yet a long ways away, a variable (unfortunately) does make a lot of sense. I'm just hung up on those darn fixed powers. I like them as they are solid, tough, dependable, and everything looks the exact same each and every time you pull it up and look through the darn thing. I don't remember who said it, but remember that saying of "Be careful of the guy with one rifle cause he probably knows how to use it!" Kind of my line of thinking.

6x42mm Leupold fixed power scope possibly with the ballistic reticle matched to the load you will be shooting in your rifle.

4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle or one of the custom reticles to match the ballistics of your 270 WSM. My son has made some awesome shots with that scope on his 6mm Remington.

Zeiss Conquest- 3.5-10x44mm with the Z600 or Z800 reticle. I sure like the one my son has on his rifle.

I'd say one of those three for me personally, but there's lots of opinions and most of them will be very good. :) Good luck deciding. Look through a bunch of them and see what you like and fits your eye. Oh crap, Leica is making a scope, or at least I believe they are and it's a really nice variable. I don't even remember the power range, but they make some awesome optics! Check them out on the web. Not sure on the price either, but gonna be close to your limit.
David

I plan on using 130 or 140 grain AccuBond bullets that will be hand loaded, and i will either be getting a Browning X-Bolt Hunter or Winchester Extreme Weather SS, right now i have about 2000 saved up for both the rifle and Scope. Thanks for the input

I think that I would pick up a Leupold catelogue you should be able to find something for that value.
I am looking forward to using my VX-6 when it arrives.

Blessings,
Dan

A grand, huh? You can get some pretty stellar glass with that much dinero.

Leupy VX3 3.5-10x40... I'd get it in matte, with a duplex, and send it to the custom shop for an M1 elevation turret. http://swfa.com/Leupold-35-10x40-VX-3-R ... 12649.aspx

FX3 6x42... same deal, but I'd get matte with the LR Duplex and M1 elevation: http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x42-FX-3-Rifle ... 12758.aspx

Swaro: Z3 3-10x42 with the 4a... what I'm probably going to put on my Remington Ti .270: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/swar ... skiz310x42

Zeiss: 3-9x40 Conquest: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=521460
I have maybe just shy of a half dozen of these. Not quite the deal they were when they were $100 cheaper, but still a fine scope.

4.5-14x44 Conquest, a bit of a dark horse. I actually like my 3-9x40s better, and they were about half the price. http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=521430

Minox: 3-9x40 mine is a BDC, but I think if I get any more, I would get the Minoplex or #4: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=66000

2-10x40 Z5, I don't have one, but Scotty thinks pretty highly of his: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=66010

Unfortunately, a scope that I would really like to see isn't available (yet)... a Minox Z5 3-15x42 with side focus. I'm a little leery of scopes much over about 12x without some sort of parallax adjustment.

Don't forget a good mounting system. I like Talleys... the one piece lightweight models; Leupold Dual Dovetail; but lately I've really fallen hard for S&K mounts. They are a little spendy, but (if you can say this about a scope mount) very sexy. Anymore, I am trying to avoid any windage adjustable mounts. I have some on my Whelen and they've given me no problems, but the more I think about things, the more I like simpler mounts.

Right now I am leaning towards the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 plex, or the Swarovski 4-12x50 plex with Talley mounts on top of the Browning X-Bolt Hunter. I know that they are great scopes and I think that they are better than Zeiss or Leupold.

That would be a fine choice... I'd lean towards the 3-10x, though. I think we might be over scoping our rifles, somewhat. I know I have a tendency to.

dezmick":2zc3q4ob said:
Right now I am leaning towards the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 plex, or the Swarovski 4-12x50 plex with Talley mounts on top of the Browning X-Bolt Hunter. I know that they are great scopes and I think that they are better than Zeiss or Leupold.

When I saw the topic of this thread, the 3-10 Z3 is the exact scope I had in mind. I see them locally for 850.00 so you might have enough extra for mounts. Good luck. Sounds just about like the ultimate set up. You'll never regret it!

nvbroncrider":2xtpkjrh said:
I don't think you can overscope a rifle Kurt. You can't shoot what you can't see!

I believe you can... hunt the rain-soaked hell of the Oregon/Washington Coast Range rain forests for blacktail or Roosevelt Elk. An 8.5-25x40 VX3 has no place there, except watching clear cuts.

If you're considering a 50mm objective, you could also look at the Minox ZA5 4-20x50. It's gin clear and seems to be well made. I'll be getting some high rings and mounting it up in the near future and then I'll give a full report. Not sure if I'd get that over the Swaro, but then again, the Minox is about half the price, and I'm confident it's well more than half the quality/capability/durability. Minox has been in the optics business for longer than most any of us have been alive.

Ultimately, I don't think you can go wrong with any good quality scope from the makers listed so far - Zeiss, Minox, Swaro, even Leupold (I'm not a fan due to some issues, but they will fix anything they don't get right the first time).

BK":2xaclgbc said:
nvbroncrider":2xaclgbc said:
I don't think you can overscope a rifle Kurt. You can't shoot what you can't see!

I believe you can... hunt the rain-soaked hell of the Oregon/Washington Coast Range rain forests for blacktail or Roosevelt Elk. An 8.5-25x40 VX3 has no place there, except watching clear cuts.

2.5-15 or a 3-18 or 5-30 I don't think they would be a problem or a good fixed 6. Where I'm at you can see 30 miles so its a bit different too.

BK":36s02ymc said:

Word!

I still think a 3-9x40 with a LR type duplex and turret atop is the best combination of Hunting and LR glass... you could step up to the 4-12 or 4.5-14 and do just as well... though the AO makes things a lot more iffy after a rough 20 miles in a pack.

Thanks: Dr Mike, i was thinking that i would probably have to use medium mounts for both, since the leupold is 30mm tube, i am not sure if that is correct or not, but it seems like i would have to use med mounts for the Zeiss as well. i could be wrong, if you know different please let me know. Thanks

I own that model of Zeiss Conquest, and I can tell you I'm thoroughly pleased with it. The 300Wby it's on won't need new glass until I'm long dead and gone, I suspect. Get the Zeiss. You will not regret it.

Back