New scope on my .338 Lap Mag

HomerOz

Handloader
Sep 13, 2012
G'Day Fella's,

Having a Birthday very close to Christmas, I shouted myself a gift for both days!
I had been for sometime, contemplating which scope to fit to this Rem 700 MLR rifle and also, a scope with it's reticle in the First Focal Plane (FFP) or Second Focal Plane (SFP)?
I finally settled on a Nightforce (NF) ATACR 5-25 x 56mm along with NF 34mm rings and other NF accessories (Bubble Level and Angle Degree Indicator).
Any way they say a picture is worth a Thousand words, so here are a few thousand worth!
DSCN1336.JPG
DSCN1339.JPG
DSCN1340.JPG
I'm now awaiting the delivery of the new Chassis Stock from http://www.gcpdarms.com for this rifle and I'll be off to the range!

Doh!
Homer

Homer that looks great atop that rifle. I haven't owned a NF YET, but it's in my top 3 to put atop a rifle. Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Nightforce makes an excellent scope. I've shot a swack of rifles topped with Nightforce. (Before anyone asks, "swack" is a technical term meaning "scad" or "gazillions.")

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You both, for your kind comments!

Dr Mike, "a swack" sounds like a Whole Lot of FUN.....what ever it was you were shootin!

SJB358, this is now my third NF scope, and I'm very happy with all of them.
I really can't justify buying anything dearer than the NF, but so far, I'm very happy, as they are a very impressive scope!
They also have an enviable warranty system, which is more than can be said about that brand that comes after February but before April!!!

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Homer,

I have done load workup for a custom gun maker for many years. I see fewer NF scopes now than I did a few years back. I've shot everything from 260 Rem to 338-378 Weatherby topped with NF. My most recent was a .243 topped with a BIG NF. Go figure. The experience gave me opportunity to look through quite a variety of scopes. I was always impressed with the quality of the scope. I just didn't have opportunity to pick one up at discount as I did for other makes, or I would have had a few on my own rifles.

Homer,

Very nice!
What reticle do you have?

JD338

G'Day Fella's,

Dr Mike, that sounds like a lot of FUN is being had!!!

Thank You JD338, and I chose the MOAR-T reticle.
Please see below, a description from the NF website.

MOAR-T™ Reticle
ATACR™5-25x
Nightforce customers asked for a finer version of our MOAR™ reticle for even more precision at extreme ranges, and our new MOAR-T™ delivers. .0625 MOA lines, with 1 MOA elevation and windage markings. Allows accurate rangefinding and holdover estimation at the longest distances. Center Illumination only.

Also, I forgot to mention. Prior to fitting this scope, the rifle already had a Ken Farrell 20-MOA scope base fitted to it.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Hey giday Homer, put those two together and Bobs yur uncle! Great stuff mate! Good on ya......

Homer, NF make a fine piece of glass. They are one tough scope that is for sure!!
Looking forward to your review on your new scope.

Blessings,
Dan

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You for the kind comments!

I want to make a new muzzle brake for it and once thats done, I can't wait to get it bolted in it's new stock and I'll be headin for the range!!!

A mate of mine has a 40 Acre block up the sticks ("in a remote part of the bush") 40 minutes drive from home, and we can just squeeze in a 500 meter range in it, from boundary to boundary.
So when we get a chance, we'll level a place for a concrete bench, and put a target frame at the other end.
That way we can put an LED light at the Target end, to light it up and shoot at night when there is No Wind!

HooRoo for now 35 Whelen and I hope you have a Bonza Weekend eh Cobber!

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Back