New Tikka 6.5x55

I stopped shooting flyers when I started shooting 1 shot groups.

JD338

Boy, reading comprehension matters. I read that initially as "I stopped shooting flyers when I started shooting 1" groups." Haha. Although either way would apply I guess.

For me, particularly in the last yr or so I've gotten pretty stringent about eliminating any second guessing or questions about what happened with a target. I believe myself, my guns, and my reloads are better off for it. Maybe this is arrogance on my part but I've shot enough now that if I can't call a flier before I ever look back at the target, then I don't count it as me. There are times I'm calling myself names before I ever look and I know that shot is not going to be in with the previous shot, even if not off by far. On the other hand if the first clue I have that it's not where I was hoping is when I look at the target, then it's not me and I got more work to do to find out why.

Wow. That sucker is amazing Dan!
After reading Shadetree's post on the Tikka he was shooting for a friend and the bedding trouble it had I was concerned about buying this one. It has done well considering the nut behind the bolt. Dan.

After reading Shadetree's post on the Tikka he was shooting for a friend and the bedding trouble it had I was concerned about buying this one. It has done well considering the nut behind the bolt. Dan.
I like Tikkas a lot, I’m just stuck on the 70’s but man, every single one I’ve touched or been around has been really easy to get going. Looks like yours is no different.

I changed the scope out, then ordered a Mountain Tactical stainless recoil lug which is machined to tighter tolerances apparently on the specs that Tikka's are machined out to. That took away I'm gonna say 80% or better of the back and forth/side to side slop out of it. Those 2 things together made it acceptable by modern standards. That MT lug kept me from having to bed it. I believe it had 2 things going on simultaneously wreaking havoc when combined. A scope that was not always staying right on point, and WAY too much slop at the lug area.

I like Tikkas a lot, I’m just stuck on the 70’s but man, every single one I’ve touched or been around has been really easy to get going. Looks like yours is no different.
Nothing wrong with the 70s for sure. I have seen and handled Tikkas at the range and just wanted one and it be a different caliber than most commonly used. Dan.

Back