New to Me

Great looking rifle Uncle Rodger! I had one for awhile in 7mm STW that was a real shooter. I traded that rifle to a friend so he would have a good elk rifle. There is one of those like yours out here at a Pawn shop, but I found another Remington 700 classic (.270) so when the FedEx truck drops "my rifle" off, I'll send him to your place pronto! :) I was just looking for any standard long caliber in the Classic, if IT doesn't shoot well, I have two proven barrels to try, an older 7mm Express ( 280) and my old 35 Whelen AI barrel. Have a ball Young Man! Rev Jim

Well gbflyer I have completely stripped and cleaned it, Took everything off the action, trigger, extractor, bolt stop scope rings and bases. Picked up a new recoil pad for it today and traded Scotty the scope for a B&C stock and Talley steel rings. The scope was too short for the action for me to get the reticle to focus clearly. I have a real nice new in the box Burris E1 G4 that is going to replace it but before I mount it I will have my local GS drill and tap the scope mounting holes out for 8-40 screws.
Then I'll get it to the range and see what it will do.

Got the rifle scope mount holes drilled and taped yesterday and mounted the scope today.
Here's a couple of new pictures with the Burris E-1 on top ready for sighting in which I hope to do tomorrow.
Also installed a new recoil pad.
If you notice the Leupold isn't on it , My Buddy Scotty now has it, I couldn't get the eye relief right so I could focus the reticle for my eyes with out putting a bridge style base on it which I don't like so I traded it to him for some of his extra stash he wasn't using or needed. :)o)

Attachments

• KIMG0213.jpeg
    KIMG0213.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 751
  • KIMG0214.jpeg
    KIMG0214.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 751
Nice. I still think a good M70 weighing about 8-8.5lbs in a 338 Win Mag is about as good as it gets. Light enough to carry all day but has the HP and reach for anything.

Scotty something I hadn't looked at before is also how there are loads that are not maxed out and would make a nice whitetail load.
If this rifle is accurate enough for my standards I might become a one rifle hunter again.
The 3-9X40 Burris E-1 seems to be a good fit on it but won't know till I get it to the range.
If the factory stock doesn't work on it I have the B&C for back up and should stabilize it like the H&S did the Ruger.

truck driver":296rsrmo said:
Scotty something I hadn't looked at before is also how there are loads that are not maxed out and would make a nice whitetail load.
If this rifle is accurate enough for my standards I might become a one rifle hunter again.
The 3-9X40 Burris E-1 seems to be a good fit on it but won't know till I get it to the range.
If the factory stock doesn't work on it I have the B&C for back up and should stabilize it like the H&S did the Ruger.

About 65 grains of RL15 with a 200-210 grain bullet will run 2850-2950 outta most rifles and is extremely pleasant to shoot. Give it a shot, it’s not exactly a download but it’s more of a do everything sorta load.

SJB358":1vji93wi said:
truck driver":1vji93wi said:

About 65 grains of RL15 with a 200-210 grain bullet will run 2850-2950 outta most rifles and is extremely pleasant to shoot. Give it a shot, it’s not exactly a download but it’s more of a do everything sorta load.
I have 10 loaded with 72grs of R19 under a 200gr hot cor to sight it in and get some H2O weights. That's Speer's bottom load but fills the case to the bottom of the neck for around 2560fps.

Hey there Roger, I made the decision to have my 35 Whelen AI put back together ( I found another Mod 700 Classic) so, I have quite a bit of 338 Win Mag cases & bullets. I have several boxes of the older Nosler 200 BT, some 200AB, Barnes 160, 250 ABs and Partitions and some 180ABs. I would like to know if you have any interest in trading me some 35 Whelen stuff or buying some/all of this stuff at a discounted rate, dollarwise? :)

preacher":105wa0hq said:
Hey there Roger, I made the decision to have my 35 Whelen AI put back together ( I found another Mod 700 Classic) so, I have quite a bit of 338 Win Mag cases & bullets. I have several boxes of the older Nosler 200 BT, some 200AB, Barnes 160, 250 ABs and Partitions and some 180ABs. I would like to know if you have any interest in trading me some 35 Whelen stuff or buying some/all of this stuff at a discounted rate, dollarwise? :)
PM sent

ShadeTree":fshxobcg said:
Beautiful gun and a real hammer. Nice score!
Thanks ShadeTree;
with all the rain and now snow and global warming (-2) here today I haven't been able to do much with it,
Maybe next week when we have a heat wave since it's suppose to be in the 50 next week
after the polar vortex blows threw.

Great looking rifle, Rodger. Looks like the perfect elk rifle. Can't wait to see how it shoots for you.

Back