New to Reddington Dies

tjen

Handloader
Apr 25, 2007
I bought two Reddington Type S Match Neck Die sets a 223Rem and a 221Rem. I did this before I picked up a shim set so I turn them up a 1/4 turn and tighten down. When did get the shim set I losed the set screw tried turn the locking ring. I thought I ruined the die sets.

Well you learn some thing every day and when I revisited this isuue I found reddington puts a slug of soft metal in the ring before the set screw. Once I broke the ring free and found I did not ruin the die threads I found this out.

I could say I felt stupid but with $400 of dies that are just fine I am just happy.

I have a few cases loaded 4 times as my work up to pressure loads and they do not want to chamber even thou their .008" under max case length. So I will get the neck bushing working closer to the shoulder and use the body die if needed. I think the chamber is on the large side so I will find loads that are not at max pressure. Even factory rem ammo realy expands the cases and revels circular chamber markes. I working on loads using AA1680 around 3120fps for a 45gr spire pt. and 3250fps for the 40gr BT,BK,HPV bullets that I have.

One side note I am still on my first can of Lilgun and it seems hotter in two cartidges 22-hornet and 221rem than most data lists. The 22hornet uses a CCI500 and 12.6grs. The CCI500 was key the 205fed did 3100fps. Andin the 221rem the 40gr BTip is too hot with just 14.6grs at 3420fps with slight craddering. I am curious to see if a different lot of Lilgun behaves more mildly.

tjen,

Way back when we were using Nosler tips on our spears ( :roll: ) to take mastodons, I would put a small lead fishing sinker in each RCBS lock ring. Eventually, I learned that Redding does this for us, so I would not have to do so. There is always something new to learn when using a die with which you are not familiar. Good job that you sorted it out before spending more money.

I have a set of Redding dies for my 280 AI. They have served me well.

JD338

I have a few sets of Redding's and they work very well for me. They are my favorite next to Forsters.

I will add other than my 22-hornet that uses a Lee Collet Neck Die that so far has not required the FL after about six reloadings. I partial size my 35rem and 358win with a FL Die so these are my first Neck Die sets. I am using a mild dose of 24.9grs of Benchmark with a 52gr bullet @ 3270fps. But the 221Rem opperates at more pressure so I will have to learn how ofton it needs the body bump die to chamber. I think I will run the 221rem at modist velocity for low noise and case life with a 45gr and 40gr load. But do want to get the B-tip and Lilgun worked out it boost the the velocity about 100fps so a 40gr at 3300fps would be mild as well if it shoots accurate.

Back