New vortex scope

The HS is some pretty clear glass; and for the price, it would make a sweet deal.

Just ordered one to put on a tactical setup that I'm working on. It seems pretty good for what it has. At that price, Its worth a shot.

Is it just me.... or do most of these "tactical" rifle scopes look pretty fragile? I guess maybe it's the way I treat stuff.... but I worry about side focus and exposed turrets on a rifle that's going to get thrown on the front seat of the truck, stuffed in a pack, bounced around in a saddle scabbard, knocked around in the sage, and generally abused. I'd sure like to see how one holds up after 5-8 years of solid use....

Nothing against Vortex or any of the other myriad manufacturers pumping out tac glass... just wondering if it'd actually hold up on something more than a range sniper rifle...

That looks like a great price for that much glass. I'm impressed with the Viper I own and the HS and PST lines are better. It is kinda heavy though at 20 oz.

SJB358":2ss3fkwx said:
Wow, that would be a great scope for my 264!

I would go get another Minox for that 264WM. The ZA5 2-10x40 would be a great option.

Just my .02¢

CatskillCrawler":1ukpv73w said:
That looks like a great price for that much glass. I'm impressed with the Viper I own and the HS and PST lines are better. It is kinda heavy though at 20 oz.

SJB358":1ukpv73w said:
Wow, that would be a great scope for my 264!

I would go get another Minox for that 264WM. The ZA5 2-10x40 would be a great option.

Just my .02¢

I know, that is kinda where I am at....

DrMike":24maqm0p said:
Scotty,

The Vortex is a good scope; the Minox is simply better.

It's pretty hard to not put a Minox 2-10 on the 300 and call it a day!

Scotty, there's a big sale on the 4-20x50 Minox ZA5 right now. How about $450 with the plex reticle? Does that start your juices flowing? That'd be a heck of a good fit in terms of magnification on that 264, I think.

dubyam":2ir3f0as said:
Scotty, there's a big sale on the 4-20x50 Minox ZA5 right now. How about $450 with the plex reticle? Does that start your juices flowing? That'd be a heck of a good fit in terms of magnification on that 264, I think.

Yep, that is one of the ones I am eyeballing Dub.. I think it would fit in mediums, just not sure I wanna go 50mm on the rifle. I really wanted the 3x15, but without a focus, everything after about 12X is kinda pointless...

You know Minox makes a 3-15x50 with side focus, right Scotty? Of course, if you're going to a 50mm objective, I'd just get the 4-20. Which I did! Now if I can just decide on rings/bases (keep my bases and buy high rings, or buy new base/ring set?) and get it mounted, I'll be all set. Work keeps getting in the way!

dubyam":57i88yj5 said:
You know Minox makes a 3-15x50 with side focus, right Scotty? Of course, if you're going to a 50mm objective, I'd just get the 4-20. Which I did! Now if I can just decide on rings/bases (keep my bases and buy high rings, or buy new base/ring set?) and get it mounted, I'll be all set. Work keeps getting in the way!

Yeah, I know... Decisions!

I went ahead and grabbed one. It should be here by wednesday and if anyone is interested I'll post a few pics and some initial impressions when it gets here and I get it mounted.

atmoshpere":3equ1uxy said:
I went ahead and grabbed one. It should be here by wednesday and if anyone is interested I'll post a few pics and some initial impressions when it gets here and I get it mounted.

ATM, I am looking forward to your report on this scope..

Scotty,

The Vortex scopes are nice, but you won't regret having Minox on your rifles.

@ Atm: Yes, please!

Although I was looking through the new Leupy catalog, and I see that they have intro'd a VX2 4-12x40 non-AO. I've said repeatedly in the past that I would buy more that one if they made this configuration... I guess I need to put my money where my mouth has already gone.

I should be able to log a little range time with it next weekend so I'll post some more thoughts/critiques/praise as warranted after I've punched some paper w it.

Back