New vortex scope

Got the scope today. It looks pretty good. Comes with 2 manuals. One for the scope and another on how to use mil dots. The shims for the zero stop are being shipped separate.
It's going to be a little bit before I get it mounted as the base and rings were backordered. I'll have to check around.

Attachments

• IMG_0125 [800x600].jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,596
Funny, I thought it was going to have the same reticle as my other Viper PSTs.

My bro grabbed one, THAT THING IS STOUT! I really like it, the turrets are tight and very solid clicks, the side focus is nice and smooth, but stiff enough it won't turn on its own. I really like that scope!

I'm very impressed with it! Thinging about selling my Luepold Mark-II 6-18 mil dot that is on my .243 and replacing it with one of these. It might even find its way to the top of the 280 AI and replace the minox!

A few comments in addition to Bill and Jake's:

+1 for having great clicks on those turrets. I'm also a pretty big fan of the knurling style they used on the knobs.

On top of a 20MOA base with LOW rings, I've still got a good 5/16" clearance between bell and barrel

Vortex was not shy on the eye relief; even at 15X I'm back off the thing a good bit.

The center crosshair lines of the reticle are nice and fine. Very similar to Leupold's TMR but without the center aperture. The dots are also not too bulky, which I personally like very much.

The markings are well done and stylish without being obnoxiously obvious. The side focus knob has a healthy diameter to it so it's not like trying to twist a 1/4" bold head by hand, and as Jake said it turns smooth and is tight enough to not move inadvertently but not so tight as to make you feel like your gonna have an accident trying to turn it :shock:

I'll try to get it up to the range an evening this week or this weekend. I'll be comparing it to my VX3 3.5-10X50 w/TMR which is admittedly not a straight across comparison but if the Vortex at $400 compares well with the Leupy, I think it will be worth noting.

Based on first impressions I'm very happy and feel that it is an exceptional value. This scope would be right at home on any light tactical or long range hunting rifle. Obviously it would not be my first choice for a light stalker or woods gun.

So, my question to those who bought (and have received one): would you do it again? Would you buy another?

If I were in need of a new scope and restricted to the price range represented by Vortex, yes, I'd buy again. I do not care for the profile of the scopes as much as some others. Having said that, the glass is clear and may even be a bargain. Despite reports of some problems with the windage and elevation on some of the scopes, I have never personally observed this.

Yours is a PST, right Mike? I was hoping to find out if the users of this particular scope (Viper HS Tac) would buy it again.

Mine is a PST. I have, however, shot several rifles with other Vortex scopes mounted. I have not, as yet, shot one with a Razor mounted. I considered buying a Razor. The glass is excellent from what I've seen without actually having one at the range. However, the profile is massive, which turned me off.

I finally got the scope mounted and had a chance to shoot it a little bit. I went with a TPS 20MOA base and Seekins low rings. There is plenty of clearance on the front. The eye relief is pretty good where I had to mount it as far forward as I could without hitting the base with the magnification ring. The magnification ring is pretty stiff so far. I agree with Atmoshpere's comments on the adjustments and setup of the markings. I put it on a Rem SPS 308 that I was going to use as a beater, but I shot with my guys on a training day with it and by the end of the week I had the scope ordered and a stock on the way.
One of the guys has several NF's and upon checking it out, he was impressed by the scope. Another one is considering ordering one if they become available again. I would also pickup another. Very happy with it so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0171 [800x600].jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 751
Please do, that would be great! One can never have too much information or too many scope comparisons in today's proliferated market for optics. It is pretty confusing and any good information helps.

Bill, that rig looks very nice buddy. That scope looks like a nice one as well! Let us know how it shoots..

billbam":9uu33m52 said:
Markings and knobs

I dig those Seekins rings! I bought a set for my M70 Coyote 7 WSM, but I haven't gotten around to getting them mounted up (strangely, I'm putting a Vortex Viper PST on it).

I ordered one of those scopes too, but I waited long enough that mine isn't supposed to arrive until August. :cry:

Back