New X bow

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Finally retired my old Barnet crossbow. I went with the ultra narrow Killer Instinct vital-X. Only 6.5” axle to axle. It’s way more quiet than my old X-bow even though it’s rated at 430 fps. It has a 195 lb draw weight but the cocker makes it feel much lighter. I’ve only shot it once so far, but using killer instinct bolts I can hold 4 within 2” at 30 yards with a shooting stick. I feel safe posting this here, anywhere else the haters show up and flame X-bows users over vertical bows. I see it as a totally different genre of hunting and don’t try to lump them together.
IMG_1155.jpeg

Congratulations Howie. Looks like a nice x-bow!
We just upgraded our x-bows with Ravins. Sue has a R26X and I have the R29X. They are very fast and scary accurate at 50 yards.
Went with Sevr hybrid mechanical broadheads.

JD338

Congratulations Howie. Looks like a nice x-bow!
We just upgraded our x-bows with Ravins. Sue has a R26X and I have the R29X. They are very fast and scary accurate at 50 yards.
Went with Sevr hybrid mechanical broadheads.

JD338
Nice Jim! Ive never heard of those heads before, but that look to be awesome! I caught the Muzzy titanium on clearance at BPS and snatched up 4 packs. I’ve used the muzzy trokar hbx to great effect so hoping these will work well.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/muzzy-hb-ti-hybrid-broadhead?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=BPS|Shopping|PMax|Hunting|Hunting|NAud|NVol|NMT&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD1TgtcWji3vfybwZNsV6PHwwZNUv&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7C2BhDkARIsAA_SZKZV6CFci_TZy0mkE_TWeezh5k5nw6qGcAP7xDpZ99KyBlWlXN0DbLsaAkEKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Very nice. We couldn't use that here in NY. Our regulations specify a minimum distance, limb tip to limb tip, uncocked, of 17 inches.

Over-regulation? Hard to get onboard with that degree of governmental tampering.
Oh, Mike. That is just the beginning of it. Here is the complete definition of a legal hunting crossbow in NY.

"Crossbow- consists of a bow, a string, and either compound or recurve limbs with a minimum width of 17 inches (tip of limbs, uncocked), mounted on a stock. The stock shall have a trigger with a working safety that holds the string and limbs under tension until released. It shall have a minimum overall length from the butt of the stock to the front of the limbs of 24 inches and be able to launch a minimum 14-inch arrow/bolt, not including the legal arrowhead. It shall have a draw weight of 100-200 pounds. Optical sights are allowed on crossbows."

When you into a respected archery shop in NY you find a whole bunch of different crossbows hanging on the wall. About 3 will have a sign on them that says, "Legal for hunting in NYS".

The definition of a legal broadhead is a print column 4" long.

Finally retired my old Barnet crossbow. I went with the ultra narrow Killer Instinct vital-X. Only 6.5” axle to axle. It’s way more quiet than my old X-bow even though it’s rated at 430 fps. It has a 195 lb draw weight but the cocker makes it feel much lighter. I’ve only shot it once so far, but using killer instinct bolts I can hold 4 within 2” at 30 yards with a shooting stick. I feel safe posting this here, anywhere else the haters show up and flame X-bows users over vertical bows. I see it as a totally different genre of hunting and don’t try to lump them together.
View attachment 23400
Nice and compact.
I use a Wicked Ridge X-bow with Rage Hypodermic broadheads.

I'm looking hard at crossbows lately because my back, elbows and shoulders are about shot from years of sports and compounds. That Killer Instinct is no doubt a sweet looking setup especially the size of it and i like the all black color, looks stealthy. I've been looking hard at the Excalibur Micro 340 but haven't took the leap just yet but i can definitely see it in my future. Again, very nice rig! Mike

Back