"Newly" Acquired Win M70 in 7mm Mauser (.275 Rigby)

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
Hello all!

I just wanted to let y'all know that I traded for a magnificent Winchester M70 in 7mm Mauser, or as some on here say on here, a .275 Rigby.
It's an XTR Featherweight that was made in 1979.
It's bin amazing condition, and I couldn't pass it up.
The 7mm Mauser, is one of my all time favorite cartridges. It is light kicking, but highly lethal.
I was wondering about the guys on here that have the same caliber, and what their experience has been with it, along with your favorite handloads for it as well.
I have pics below of her.
Thank you all in advance for your info, I greatly appreciate it!

HawkIMG_20201223_003159164~2.jpgIMG_20201223_003238898~2.jpg

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Seems to be pretty effective on moose! My buddy’s wife took this tasty cow the other day with her small ring Mauser 7x57. I’m not sure what load she was using but she used to use 150gr partitions.

f2f2a9358a48626dd6cf0a71b463efed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to be pretty effective on moose! My buddy’s wife took this tasty cow the other day with her small ring Mauser 7x57. I’m not sure what load she was using but she used to use 150gr partitions.

Thebear_78":10w8srdh said:

That's amazing!
I've liked the cartridge for about as long as the 6.5x55 Swede.
Did the moose travel far after being hit by it?
The 150 gr weight is a very good middle of the road bullet that can be used for a wide range of game animals.
Thank you for the pic!

Hawk

Been buying bullets for mine, it too loves the 150 grain. I never thought of it as a moose rifle, hmmmm.

I worked up a load for a chap over on the coast. He had an old, beat-up 7X57 that he had been using for years on moose. He had long used 150 grain PT, but wanted something a bit heavier. I argued for him to stay with the 150 grain PT and ultimately prevailed. The rifle was an honest 0.5 MOA shooter. What more does a hunter need? Great cartridge. And, yes, I do own a Featherweight 7X57 which I just love.

You realize you have to start shooting some of these right? LOL

Nice gun, congrats.

FOTIS":16i1cybd said:
You realize you have to start shooting some of these right? LOL

Nice gun, congrats.
Yes, Fotis, I do LOL. Not easily done when you live in a Dem run city, and COVID is still around.
There isn't anything I would love to do more than go out and go to the range. C'est la Vie!
Thank you! I'd been looking for one such as this for a really long time. It has a really nice grain to it too.

Hawk

I have one of those rifles and I like it a I had planned on using it on my last elk hunt but a wreck in my truck killed that idea four days before I was scheduled leave for the hunt.I have worked up a couple of loads for mine.

140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip (early version), 47.0 gr. W760, RP brass and WLR primer. Velocity 2800 FPS+. The load was worked up in Tucson's summer well over 100 degrees. A half grain more produced 2880 FPS but bolt lift was sticky. Accuracy sub-MOA

!50 gr. Nosler Partition, 48.5 gr. Rl17, Winchester brass, WLR primer velocity 2847 FPS accuracy sub-MOA with two shots in one hole with the third about .5" above the other two. Again, this load was worked up during out hot summer days.

I also advise caution with these loads as there are maximum for my rifle. (M70 FWT)
Paul B.

I loaded up some 139 SST's over 47 gr of StaBall 6.5 in Remington brass and Federal 210M primers to test drive mine. I didn't run it over a chrono but accuracy was .50-.75 and no complications. Work and family considerations have curtailed my load development but I hope to get back to it soon.

Nice snag, Hawk!

Ron

PJGunner":26iiblk4 said:
I have one of those rifles and I like it a I had planned on using it on my last elk hunt but a wreck in my truck killed that idea four days before I was scheduled leave for the hunt.I have worked up a couple of loads for mine.

140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip (early version), 47.0 gr. W760, RP brass and WLR primer. Velocity 2800 FPS+. The load was worked up in Tucson's summer well over 100 degrees. A half grain more produced 2880 FPS but bolt lift was sticky. Accuracy sub-MOA

!50 gr. Nosler Partition, 48.5 gr. Rl17, Winchester brass, WLR primer velocity 2847 FPS accuracy sub-MOA with two shots in one hole with the third about .5" above the other two. Again, this load was worked up during out hot summer days.

I also advise caution with these loads as there are maximum for my rifle. (M70 FWT)
Paul B.
Thank you very much Paul.
Sorry to hear about your car wreck, wow.
Glad you're on the mend, and back out hunting.
Thank you for your loads. I will write them down.
I'm thinking that loads in the 55k - 60k psi are going to be quite fine.
Thank you for your service!

Hawk

rjm158":13d9e7ho said:
I loaded up some 139 SST's over 47 gr of StaBall 6.5 in Remington brass and Federal 210M primers to test drive mine. I didn't run it over a chrono but accuracy was .50-.75 and no complications. Work and family considerations have curtailed my load development but I hope to get back to it soon.

Nice snag, Hawk!

Ron
Hey Ron!
Thank you very much! You don't know how long I've been looking for one of these.
I finally have one! Ya-Hoo!
I saw you got one about 2 months ago, too.
Congrats on yours as well.
Thank you for sharing your loads.
I was beginning to wonder about StaBall 6.5 for this cartridge as well. StaBall does very well in .30-06, and of course the 6.5 Creed. I'm sure it will do very well in the old 7mm Mauser, too!
I greatly appreciate it.

Hawk

I have the ruger african in 275 rigby ( 7x57). Really do love it, hardly ever shoot though, I usually just pull it out of the safe and handle it for a little while [emoji16]. I needcto get it out this year to hunt. Two loads I have are 160 gr hot cor and 145 gr grand slams, both pushed by H4350.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You sure know how to find them Hawk! The Featherweight's from that era are the nicest they made in my opinion and there can't be too many 7x57's either out there. Load some bullets from 140-160 and you'll be good to go.

gerry":3420hqsj said:
You sure know how to find them Hawk! The Featherweight's from that era are the nicest they made in my opinion and there can't be too many 7x57's either out there. Load some bullets from 140-160 and you'll be good to go.
Thank you Gerry!
Yes, this year, has been quite nice for me to get the rifles I've been wanting for a while now.
I'm getting my bucket list rifles way pre- bucket list.
I've been looking for this one, or a 6.5x55 Swede M70 FW for over 30 yrs now.
I'm thinking this one is going to be a shooter as well.

Hawk

I had a 7X57 from that era. It was the only rifle that I ever gave up on. However, that was only because a gunsmith offered me a (at that time new) Featherweight chambered in 300WSM. I never quite lost my love for the Mauser, however. When I saw one of the new ones in my LGS, I jumped on it. It has not disappointed me. So, my world is at peace once again.

Cleveland48":1wnpitey said:
I have the ruger african in 275 rigby ( 7x57). Really do love it, hardly ever shoot though, I usually just pull it out of the safe and handle it for a little while [emoji16]. I needcto get it out this year to hunt. Two loads I have are 160 gr hot cor and 145 gr grand slams, both pushed by H4350.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That's great!
It's a cartridge that deserves to be used for hunting.
I was hoping to score either a Ruger M77, a Remington 700, or a Win M70 FW in 7x57, eventually.
Along with the .30-06, I can see myself using both frequently.

Hawk

DrMike":38qu8wzc said:
I had a 7X57 from that era. It was the only rifle that I ever gave up on. However, that was only because a gunsmith offered me a (at that time new) Featherweight chambered in 300WSM. I never quite lost my love for the Mauser, however. When I saw one of the new ones in my LGS, I jumped on it. It has not disappointed me. So, my world is at peace once again.
That's a great account DrMike.
I fully agree with you about finally being at peace.

Hawk

When I was a kid at 20 yrs of age, I had invested in 1908 Brazilian Mauser, in, you guessed it, 7x57 Mauser.
That was a thing of beauty. Extra long 29 inch barrel, and not a spot of rust on it. The bore was immaculate. As shiny from bore to chamber, as a new rifle.
I regret selling it. Had to pay for a divorce lawyer.
It shot wonderfully. It loved the new Remington 140 gr load, clocked at the factory at 2660 fps out of a 24 inch barrel.
Boy, was it ever easy on the shoulder. At that point in time, my eyes were much younger, and I had 20/50 vision. I could hit a gnats arse at 100 yds with that thing.
Ah well.
Now I have my like new M70, and won't part with it for nothing.
The 7mm Mauser round was the second Mauser round I had used up to that tender age. I loved it like my 6.5x55.
Now, I am going to use for a lot of deer hunting.

Hawk

Back