Nilgai hunting in South Texas

BRISTERCD

Beginner
Sep 27, 2006
My 13 year old son just drew a youth big game permit to hunt on the La Sal Vieja (East Lake) portion of the Lower Rio Grande NWR. You are allowed one buck, one doe and all the nilgai and feral hogs you can haul out. Oh man am I excited!!!!!!!!!! I went out this morning to scout the area a bit and was able to stalk to within 7 yards of a mature nilgai bull! He never knew I was there and these are definitely some of the most difficult animals in the world to stalk. Smart and tough - what a combination. I just hope we can repeat it come hunt day. Anyway, I am considering letting him use my 280 Rem loaded with 160 Partitions or Accubonds. In your opinion which is better for a nilgai - our first option for an animal ( we can shoot trophy whitetail anywhere)? I have shot a nilgai using 140 trophy bonded bullet in the 280 but it never exited. I would really prefer an exit wound, but I also know it doesn't happen regularly on nilgai. By the way, looks like Bob shot a nice nilgai as well. Best eating wild game in North America.

Since you like exit wounds I would suggest the Partition over the AB. You still may not get an exit though (pending on bullet placement).

I'm from Colorado, but I've hunted nilgai in that same area..maybe 3-4 miles NE of Linn.

I did research prior to my hunt, and decided I needed a stout bullet. So I used my Colorado elk load, which is a Nosler 180 grain Partition from my 30-06....at about 2800 fps.

I didn't get a nilgai, but I did connect with a hog, and javelina.

My research told me that nilgai are tough, and require enough gun, and a stout bullet. I also learned that a lot of nilgai are wounded and not recovered, because they are shot by whitetail deer hunters, using whitetail deer type cartridges and bullets.

Lee Carkenord

I would go with a 160 or 175gr PT as your best bet for an exit. I would think breaking down a bull with a shoulder shot would be your best bet with a quick follow up shot if needed.
Good luck to both you and your son on your upcomming hunt.

JD338

Back