Nitrex Scopes

mbmm

Beginner
Aug 18, 2007
Anybody have any comments on them. I am looking at one for my 220 Swift. Just testing the waters before I jump....

I had a couple of Nitrex optics to take a look at. They are Japanese built for the ATK folks, not the cheapest not the high end either.

I used to shoot my .220 Swift with a Weaver K10, and the Nitrex was at least the equal of that scope and probably better.

jim

My theory when it comes to scopes is consider what conditions you will use it in

If it is a varmint gun the conditions will be rather favorable so spnd more on power and less on quality clarity. Its not like you are going to shoot p dogs in low light freezing conditions right?

I put my best glass on my big game rifles you dont want the hunt of a liftime to go to fogged up lens if you lose a pdog who cares

A buddy of mine aquired in a Horse trade , a couple of 3x15x50 TR2 Nitrex scopes. He gave me one to put on my 22-250. I bought Burris High rings locally and mounted the scope. I had to "shim" the back ring with a thin sticker in the bottom of the ring to get the elevation correct. The elevation is now centered.
It sighted in just fine and with the all the extra tics (EBX Reticle) I could hit fist size quartz rocks at 350yds. After about 20 shots it did not move. I did like the side focus parallax. It was a clear sunny day so everything looks clear. I don't know about the twilight yet.

So far I like this scope. I've been a Leupold guy for 30 years. I still will buy Leupold VX3 or better but for this gun (Howa 22-250) it will work just fine until it shows me differently. It's hard to "go back" when your eyes are getting older and use glass that may not be as good.

Example: VX-L / VXII, I could see deer at less than 100 yds at dusk/dark and my 14y son could not with his scope (VXII). He usually spots deer/elk before me.

POINT Being: On a clear day at high noon..... most scopes look pretty good. It's at the beginning and the end of the day that seperates the scopes.

Back