Nosler 55 grain vs. Sierra spitzer in 22-250

mike brennann

Beginner
Mar 25, 2006
I loaded some 55 grn noslers into a 22-250 with 35 grains of 748 expecting to shoot tight group, as did ther Sierras, the group was larger than my fist...should there be that much difference between the two bullets out of a HOwa?

Mike,

Its hard to say, every rifle is unique and may have a preference towards a certain bullet. Try a different powder.
I use the 50 gr BT with Varget powder and get .5" groups from ny M700VLS.

JD338

I agree completely with JD338. Every rifle is different and may prefer a different bullet.

Having said that, I have had trouble getting the 55 grain Ballistic Tip to stabilize in 22-250 Remington rifles with a 1 in 14 twist. In my rifles, the 55 grain Blitzkings were only marginally better.

I had much better luck using the 50 grain versions of both those bullets.

Just like JD338, I shoot 50 grain Noslers with Varget in my 22-250 and get great groups and good performance on ground squirrels, rabbits, coyotes, etc.

I would try to get away from the 748. It is very easy to measure, but it is entirely too temperature sensitive and, in my opinion, is also hard on barrels.

R F

I have not tried the Sierra Blitzkings in my 22-250 yet, but I have some on the way. I worked up a load last summer with IMR 3031 & the 55gr Nosler BT that would shoot .3-.4's out of my rifle. It is a Rem 700 varmint special built in 1968.
I started woking with IMR 4895 & was starting to see some decent groups from that powder. I will pick that back up soon & see where it goes.

The 55 gr Sierra is a very long bullet and did not shoot well in my Swift so I am using the 50 gr Blitz King. The .224's are about the only bore I shoot Sierras now.

After a lifetime of using Sierras the plastic meplats have got my attention. I used to say shoot Sierras in the summer and Partitions in the fall. Now it's Ballistic Tips in the Summer and Accubonds in the fall.

I received the 55gr Sierra Blitzkings yesterday. I measured the Nosler 55gr BT & the Sierra 55gr BK with a Stoney Point comparator. The BK's were longer, As stated by Savage 99. Unless I am mistaken, it would seem that the Sierra's would be slightly harder to stabilize than the Nosler's. IMO you just need to try a different powder & maybe check your seating depth. You might have a longer jump to the lands with the Nosler BT than with the Sierra BK.

hvy barrel":2tjve6o1 said:
I received the 55gr Sierra Blitzkings yesterday. I measured the Nosler 55gr BT & the Sierra 55gr BK with a Stoney Point comparator. The BK's were longer, As stated by Savage 99. Unless I am mistaken, it would seem that the Sierra's would be slightly harder to stabilize than the Nosler's. IMO you just need to try a different powder & maybe check your seating depth. You might have a longer jump to the lands with the Nosler BT than with the Sierra BK.

I remeasured both bullets yesterday. The Blitzking was .037" longer than the Ballistic tip of the same weight. I have not weighed them yet, but I was wondering what Sierra does do different to get the same weight out of a longer bullet. Does it have a deeper cavity for the hollow point section than the Nosler. If so how would that effect expansion?

Expansion should be fine with the 55 BK, it's stability in a 1-14 twist that I question due to the length of the bullet. They say it's the length and not the weight that counts in this regard.

I did not shoot enough 55 BK's to be positive but instead fell into a super accurate load with the 50 BK's and I just shoot stuff with the Swift which has been called "The original death ray".

Boattail design versus hollow point versus bearing surface all effect the overall length of the bullet. Some bullets like to jump to the lands other bullets like just a few thousandths or even touching the lands. I don't have the caliber in question but I have played a lot with seating depth.

Steve D. the HP

Thanks guys for the advice on the nosler 55 grn for 22-250...good advice all...sorry it took me so long to get back...called out of state on a case...

Back