nosler 77 gr in a 7 twist

2frogs

Beginner
Aug 6, 2017
Been working with a few nosler 77 gr in my 223 with 7 twist barrel.For some reason not much luck..But am shooting at 300 yards only for f class match..Any suggestion as of OAL and powder..I have tried rl15,varget,cfe223,4060,etc...Thanks for any adcive..

Test at 100 to help take wind/you out of equation during initial load development.

How bad are they on paper?

Have you chrono'ed them? Chrono will help identify/eliminate potential causes and help with hair pulling. If you plan on getting serious at distance, you are likely going to benefit from one at some point ....or borrow from someone, those around you on the long range probably have em.

If it isn't you/shooter, rifle/scope, or your reloading process, it could just be your rifle wants a different bullet, it does happen.

I hesitate to suggest yet another powder because you should have found something workable in that bunch. I like XBR for heavies, and load them mag length....but again, you should have found something in what you have there imo.

(Added ....I also seem to remember this is a new rifle, which if so, means you just mounted the scope. While you may think this is crazy, and you may not want to re zero your scope.....this advise has helped many = loosen the mounting clamps on your scope until they are all loose, re tighten together (a little on each zigzag'ing) until you obtain spec torque. I am not suggesting your scope is loose because i am sure you checked it, but it might be stressed tightened as seated the first time....this is not uncommon on first mount. Takes little time to do.)

Found out the info. I was using was wrong for a 7 twist. Today with 23.o gr
of reloder 15 at 300 yards I was getting 2 1/2inch groups..Best so far..This was with the
manual OAL...I WILL try this same load with different OAL'S measured to
the ogive..Is anyone shooting this same bullet withmuch jump to it or not.
I find it strange that there doesn't seem to be many shooting Noslers..

I'm shooting the 77 gr NCC in my 20" AR, getting 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards loading to 2.260" OAL which is max mag length. I am loading 22.7 grs AA 2460 and getting 2700 fps. I have not tested it on paper past 100 yards but I am easily ringing steel at 500 yards.

Back