Nosler Brass .270Win and weight variance between batches

AnthonyC

Beginner
Jan 8, 2017
Hi Everyone,

After some help / thoughts on the following;

I have been using RP brass (around 100pcs) for some time and bought a batch of Nosler for my .270 Win. (Also im in australia and the price of the Nosler brass is $115 for 50)

The weights were very similar and internal capacity pretty much the same.

1st batch Nosler;
205.1gr empty /Full H20 273.8 = 68.7(varied 68.5-68.8)

I then bought a second batch;
average weights;
182.2 empty / full H20 253.0 = 70.8grns (varied between 70.7-71.2)

So i only used the 1st batch and the RP brass.

Just bought a 3rd batch of Nosler brass (thinking surely it should be the same as the first batch)

183.6 empty / 254.6 full H20 = 71grn capacity with around .3 variance

considering the Nosler reloading info online has their case capacity as 64.7gr water....

is this acceptable - how do i know if i have an average weight and capacity of brass.

for the $115 for 50 cases...pretty disappointing.

cheers for any info.

thanks

I think nosler subtracts the seated bullet base from the water capacity in the book . this would be usable capacity . on your new brass are you fireing it first before measuring capacity ? I'll fire my brass a few times and only neck size until the brass gets tight in the rifle, before I weigh water capacity . my thoughts are , I don't know how undersized this new brass is . if I fire it until it's getting tight I know it's expanded to my chamber size .

I believe that Nosler has switched suppliers on some types of brass, and others have noted this same variance in weights between old batches and new batches. So, even though both are "to spec" they don't match.

Your second and third batches are likely the new supplier, and the first batch was their original supplier.

Jim- that makes sense for their capacity rating. Yes I do fire then check. It increase from new to once fired by .3 or so grns capacity. Thanks for the help mate.

Dr Vette- wow that's very interesting about the supplier change. I mean the cases are very consistence within the batch. Thanks mate!

Now I have to buy another batch to check it haha.

Cheers
Anthony

The weights I saw when I last checked Nosler brass was 184.08 for the brass and 70.02 grains of water. That was a year ago. The brass were seconds but still very consistent in weight. The brass was once fired.

Back