Nosler CCs for Varmints?

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
I'm working a load with 77gr CCs in my fast twist 22-250AI and just wondering how'd they work on a coyote? Anybody ever use them?
Scott

muleman":10lb8yaj said:
I'm working a load with 77gr CCs in my fast twist 22-250AI and just wondering how'd they work on a coyote? Anybody ever use them?
Scott

If you hit them chest/up front'ish/broadside they work great....bullet seems to want to break up = devastating show stoppers = and bones help.
If you hit them crossways (front to back or back to front, like straight away runners) through soft tissue they work great provided bullet has 10-12 inches to travel before exiting.

Broadside Belly shots ..... if small animal, exits like fmj = runner.

Pretty deadly ... not fur friendly if you put it where you want to. Like this bullet

I primarily use lighter Vmax's ... but also run the 77 g cc's when chasing yotes in 5.56.

hope this helps

Edit .... while not the same bullet, this video (at the 2 minute mark) shows what you might expect from the 77 g nosler cc in 22-250 imo. Some folks seem to think a cannelure is required to get these to frag .... but that has not been my experience...particularly at higher velocities (and you will be pushing them faster in your 22-250 than I do in my 5.56). Again, hope this helps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPH1UpHlC9s

Haven't hit any coyotes but with .308 and 168 grain it send prairie dogs over 6' in the air! Can't imagine then running too far.

hunting1":2avnaio7 said:
Haven't hit any coyotes but with .308 and 168 grain it send prairie dogs over 6' in the air! Can't imagine then running too far.

lol ... apples vs oranges. .308 v 22-250 ; 168 g vs 77 the OP asked about ; prairie dog v yote

Guess you will have to trust me ...... if you broadside belly shoot any self respecting Midwestern coyote with just about any (insert name here) .224 bullet ..... it'll run.

That typed....it isn't the bullets fault .... the 77's do work well on yotes as I indicated.

No disrespect intended .... just saying ... btdt

I loaded up the 52gr CC in my 223rem do to many post that said they have a delayed explotion meaning they make it in side before they expand and usually do not exit. Many of the tipped bullets are known for ruining the hide on entery, some thing I wanted to avoid. I have both the CC's and Berger 52gr HPV loaded in my 223rem. In time I will see how these two work. The HPV has a large HP and the CC's HP is very small.

Lapua Brass, BR4 Primer, 24.9grs of Bench Mark, and these two 52 gr bullets loaded to the same OCL. Hope the CC's like the same load spec's or my likes them both. The Berger 52/HPV load is extremely accurate and hope the CC won't need much or any tuning to get the same accucacy.

I would perfer the Nosler CC's with their BT and better box.

Honestly after seeing what the 308 version did I wouldn't even think about it much less try it. At 2650-2700 it's a grenade in jugs. With more velocity it would only be worse.

Back