Nosler Custom Ammo 300 RUM in 180 AB, PT or 200 AB

fhc03

Beginner
Jan 31, 2011
I was looking on Noslers website today and I was saw they had a bunch of 300 RUM for $44 per box. As you know this is a good deal.

I just bought a remington 700 xcr II, 26" barrell in 300 RUM. I havent bought ammo for it yet and was wondering which load I should go with.

The 180 gr. AccuBond (AB) seems to be the best all-around according to ballistics table but the 200 gr. AB is on sale for $44 as is the 180 gr. Partition.

I am going to buy 1 or 2 cases no matter what it is, just wondering if its worth going to the 200 gr. AB to save some money or wait for the 180 gr. AB to get back in stock, or buy the 180 gr. PT. I little worried the 200 gr. will kick substantially more than the 180 gr.

I am going to be elk hunting in New Mexico with these rounds if it helps.

Thanks for your help!

fhc03

Welcome to the forum!

The bullet choice might depend on what you are going to use it for.
The 200 gr AB or PT is a real long range hammer. The 200 gr PT is a real penetrating power house.
Any one will cover all big game in NA.

JD338

I am planning on using it to Elk hunt in New Mexico in October. I was honestly looking at the ballistics of the 180 AB vs. the 200 AB but saw the 200 AB and the 180 PT are on sale for $44.

Not sure if its worth saving the money and going with the 200 AB or 180 PT or waiting to buy the 180 AB at $74 when they come in stock.

The 200 AB seem to have more energy from 200 yards and beyond but the 180 AB seems to have a flatter trajectory. I am not sure which to buy, expecially since the 200 AB are on sale.

Again, thanks for the help.

sorry for all the posts...also curious on how much more kick to expect from the 200 gr. vs. the 180 gr.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Any of the ammunition will work for your elk hunt. There will be somewhat more recoil with the 200 grain AB verses the 180 grain PT or AB. Frankly, for your 300 RUM, I doubt that you will be more greatly disturbed by torching off the 200 grain load versus the 180 grain load. The 200 grain AB will serve you very well with elk. Were I you, I would buy it (a super price) and practise with it until ready to go on your hunt. Then, enjoy the hunt and make sure you get lots of pictures to post here on the forum.

I love that phrase "More Greatly Disturbed" by the recoil :)

It kicks but i practice with a muzzle brake to make it managable on the long days at the range.

Any other thoughts on my cartridge selection?

Thanks!

The 200 gr bullets will recoil just a little more than the 180 gr loads. In the field, you will never notice the recoil of either weight bullet. I would pick the 200 gr AB and never look back.

JD338

Not a comment on your cartridge selection, just an acknowledgement that there will be more recoil than from a 30-06 or a 308, or from a 300 WM, for that matter. Undoubtedly, the 300 RUM will reach out and touch game. Whilst I can measure a difference in recoil, I doubt that felt recoil will differ significantly. With a rifle and scope weighing 9.039 pounds, you will have about ~32.79 ft-lbs of recoil with a 180 grain AB. With a 200 grain AB, measured recoil will approximate 34.54 ft-lbs. Realistically, it is hard to detect the 1.85 ft.-lbs differential between the two loads. Like Jim, I would opt for the 200 grain AB and never look back.

Thank you for the info on the measured reciol. Thats very helpful.

Less than two extra pounds of felt recoil is not that much when you are talking 30+ to begin with.

Thanks again!

Trust me, when you pull the trigger with an elk in your cross-hairs, you will not feel any recoil. I harvested a 2x2 muley and a 4x4 bull last fall using my 375RUM pushing 260AB at 2990fps and basically never felt either shot. I also have a 300RUM that I load for. I went with the 200AB as its primary bullet but I did work up a load using the 180AB. IMO, get the 200AB and go shooting and hunting.

Thanks, that seems to be the concensus, go with the 200 AB

I appreciate it! Hopefully I will get get to pull the trigger on an Elk...hunt isnt until October...I have plenty of time to shoot and get comfortable shooting at specific distances.

Great bullet choice for elk. Good luck on your hunt this fall.

JD338

The 300RUM screams for the 200gr bullet. It gets excellent speed and really takes advantage of all that powder space. I can't imagine you will feel the difference between 180-200's in your rifle. I cannot tell the difference in my 300WM. Scotty

I had a chance to be in Bend this week and picked up two boxes of Nosler Trophy Grade 180 Accubonds for the .300 RUM...I didn't realize that they sold blemished/2nds on their ammo as well. Ended up getting the two boxes they had at $34.50 a piece!

Now for the range, and hopefully a great shooting group.

Back