:?: Nosler partitions versus Winchester Gold Partitions and

Lyman Man

Beginner
Oct 22, 2006
:?: Nosler partitions versus Winchester Gold Partitions and SHOTS versus Supreme Platinum Tip.
These appear to be basically the same bullet with the exception of the cannelure on the partitions which I am told makes all the difference in the world on accuracy.
I read the same about SHOTs and Platinum Tips being basically the same with the addition of the protected point on the Winchesters.

i have been told by more than one that the partitions aren't repeatably accurate and have flyers.

Are they really that much better?

Does the cannelure really affect the accuracy all that much?

I found no accuracy difference beteen the Partitions and the Golds. The golds are in fact a much tougher bullet .

Thanks Pop,
I am trying to find a good one shot hog bullet.
I need it to be really tough.
One shot and no trees around to jump up into where I hunt.

Lyman Man":2fbsn81d said:
:?: Nosler partitions versus Winchester Gold Partitions and SHOTS versus Supreme Platinum Tip.

i have been told by more than one that the partitions aren't repeatably accurate and have flyers.

I've shot partitions for years and have found them to be very accurate.All my rifles that like them will shot half inch groups with them.In fact the 150gr is the most accurate bullet in my 308 winchester and I have tried a bunch of bullets in it before finding that out.

What caliber are you loading for? I use a 270 WSM loaded with 140AB. This combination drops 'em in their tracks, of course I try to shoot the hogs here on the central coast about two inches below and behind the ear. Have had nothing but outstanding performance from the ABs.

I use to use the Winchester Supreme ammo in Partition Golds since they come out I believe in 1997 or 98. Same year I bought my new Sako m75 SS 300WM. My hunting buddy and I bought same rifles. We were shooting the 180gr PG's with great success over the years, until 2004 when I switched to the AccuBond CT's and now reload Accubonds. I hated the part of the PG's bullet tips deforming after chambering the same round a few times over when not seeing game to shoot. At the range with the PG's for the first time with our rifles, they were going thru 5/8-3/4" steel plates at 300 metres-VERY IMPRESSED.

I love the Accubonds with the performance in the Winchester Supreme ammo and now with the reloads I do for my 300WM and 270WSM. Impressive results at the range and in the fieled on WT , mulie moose, elk at various distances.

I would like to try the new XP3 bullets if they became available for reloaders in my 300WM and 270WSM, but for now I'll stay with the proven Accubonds.

I have had excellent consistent accuracy with Partitions. Shoot the 140's out of the 280 and 165's out of the 308. Both shoot right at .5".

Also, as far as I know, cannelures have no implications for accuracy unless you are crimping your brass for a lever gun etc...Maybe the exception to that would be the Barnes TSX because of their bullet composition.

Long

Thanks for all the info.
I orignally posted this concerning the 250gr shots and 260 partitions for my new Lyman Mustang .50 cal front loader.

However, I reload for my 7MM Rem Mag in my Savage 111.
I have a box of accubonds in 140 which my rifle really seems to like.
I have Federal Factory Ammo in 160 gr AccuBond I bought before I started relaoding. They are ok but the 140's are super accurate.
My rifle seems to like 120's 140's 150's 175's but not so much the 160's
I don't know why. i'm going to keep playing with the seating depth and maybe change powders for the 160's Ive been using IMR7828 and H1000
The problem I have for the frontloader is that my deer zone D14 California which is where I live won't allow for any type of bullet but lead core which led me to my question for my new .50 cal Once I receive the rifle I'll try things out.

Back