Not Feeling It

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Just curious how many have ever noticed their desire to hunt has waned. Usually this time of year I soak up all things hunting and start planning, practicing, and going through my gear. This year it's just a passing thought that mostly stays in the back of my mind..I do look forward to deer camp and hanging out with the guys, and still love hitting the range and doing load work up. I'm not, by any means, anti-hunting, just not "feeling it", right now..Maybe when the weather starts to cool and the fall colors develop, it'll press my reset button. I shed 39 pounds since last year and was really looking forward to being able to go further, faster this season.

I'm not much motivated towards hunting either, didn't hunt much last year, just enough to get the meat we need...it was more of a chore though instead of something I looked forward to.

I've been spending all my time and energy on fishing the past few years... once you get the boat paid for its cheaper than hunting, lol... no leases to worry about...almost 29,000 acres of lake just a few miles from the house.

I refuse to pay what it costs to lease a place these days, couldn't afford it even if I wanted to.

I still very much enjoy shooting, and hunting too honestly, but the places to hunt keep getting smaller and smaller around here...I miss 30 years ago when it was simpler.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm 50 and I still enjoy hunting a lot. I have 5 elk tags, 2 deer tags, and a antelope tag this year. It's the most I've ever had. My oldest son is now old enough to hunt so I don't see my drive changing but shifting to help him and take him places. Next year both sons will be old enough. I see myself shifting to hunts outside the hunts I will take my kids on so I still have me time and can focus on their hunts just for them. My son shot his 6.5x47L for the first time not too long ago and shot a 3 shot group just over 1". Not bad for the first time shooting a rifle that big. Once I get more ammo loaded up I'll let him see how he does on steel out to 4-500yds.

Have to admit that when I hit seventy, hunting increasingly became a chore. I still go, especially if I have some young fellas with me so I can encourage them in the sport. The price paid in aches and pains seen excessive just to go hunting. I still enjoy bringing home game, but the activity becomes more challenging each year.

DrMike":227k9nia said:
Have to admit that when I hit seventy, hunting increasingly became a chore. I still go, especially if I have some young fellas with me so I can encourage them in the sport. The price paid in aches and pains seen excessive just to go hunting. I still enjoy bringing home game, but the activity becomes more challenging each year.
I get pushing through the aches and pains..I’d bet there hasn’t been many people on their death beds who wished they’d spent more time on the couch..I have some bucket list items, including elk and moose, they may just get me to lace up the Danners, without pause…[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know exactly the feeling, I enjoy getting out but my physical limitations are starting to really get me down. But I did have a good run after my open heart surgery with being able to hunt with 2 of my favourite human beings :wink:. I had the privilege of hunting with Dr. Mike & Gerhard in the mountains of BC.
I still have great family that always makes room for the old guy and their company is what the hunt is about.
Enough complaining I hope that everyone has a successful fall and remember that we must continue to teach our younger generations about the great outdoors here in North America.

Blessings,
Dan

I am 75 and want to say I am slowing a little, but that would mean that instead of going at it 150% I have moved down a little. I am more comfortable in familiar places but will be hunting a new area in Washington this year. I will be using a traditional MZ instead of a CF so it would be safe to say I am still pretty focused. I do hunt a little slower now, but also smarter. I am going through my stuff, started practicing in June, am climbing the hills 4 or 5 times a week. I stay pretty focused, and take the time to make sure things are right. My partners are still annoyed at my overwhelming enthusiasm at 0400 and tendency to sleep during the day and come back in after dark.My lifelong goal has been to die on a south facing slope, under a tree on a bright sunny day. Couldn't get any better than that. :grin:

just the opposite for me...

I have had to wear a walking boot on my right foot for 8 weeks while a tendon heals. Haven't been able to do anything so this year I am itching to get out hunting! Haven't been able to shoot sporting clays, clear shooting lanes, etc...

I am revved up about hunting! :)

My son and I are taking a week in October for a mule deer hunt here in Washington. We've been to the rifle range pretty much once a week for six weeks or so now.

I was just loading more 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for my 30-06 yesterday afternoon. They're looking deadly as ever.

Bear season is open now, but I haven't been out yet. Was kinda hoping for a cool spell, it's supposed to be 100 - 105 degrees here this afternoon and the skies are smoke filled from wildfires. So... Ya, not real enthused about that. I'd bet I could find a bear down in the creek bottom though... :)

And the dog... Maverick is doing great with his training. I think the birds are in real trouble this year!
i2fUTn2l.jpg

Guy

My "hunting" so far (hampered by a boot on my right foot) is a whole lot of dry firing in the back yard. Today was the .45/70.

Lotsa sparrows and squirrels.

Wife just shakes her head and is thankful we have a privacy fence

I lost my want to when my son got old enough to hunt alone. I forgot how to hunt for myself after hunting for so many year to give him a really good chance for success.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

We had to spend a weekend at the cabin removing some dead trees that were leaning and posing a risk to the cabin. I guess just being up there and sitting around the fire with my two buddies retelling the same old tales from the past 20 years, has ignited a spark in me. I think I just got too wrapped up in a new job, a house remodel, and ill relatives. Still a long way from where I was, but the spark is there.

Back